is chinese bad for you?

I absolutely love it, only have it once every few weeks but just wondering how bad it is?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm no expert but I think it depends on what you get. I've heard that beef and broccoli is actually pretty good as far as take out goes. On the other hand if you get an order of Crab Rangoon that's probably not so good :P I'd stick to the stir fry like foods and stay away from the fried stuff.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    It is full of sodium and much of it is fried. You really have to watch what you get.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    You have it every few weeks?

You account for the calories?

You keep a calorie deficit?

Go for it :D
  • everything in moderation.. just find a place that doesn't add MSG.... then you should be fine. as the above poster said, avoid the fried stuff if you can, but, most of the dishes are pretty hefty on veggies and meats...

you can't give everything up... just watch your portions, and you should be fine.
  • I love it too! But, I've just tried to make better choices. Steamed rice instead of fried. Shrimp or non-breaded chicken. Stir fry veggies with no oil. Etc. It's all about portion control! And the database on here lets you check the calories of something before you order. Moderation is key. :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    The premade glop is horrible, its all salt, fat and 3rd grade meat.
    The freshly made good stuff is as good as anything else.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Depends on what you eat.

Much of their western cuisine (if you go to China you don't eat anything like you get in the west) is fried and full of calories, there's a good bit of processed foods too. They have some "healthy" options on the menu too so it really depends on what you order.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Do you have a Panda Express? Instead of rice or noodles, you can use
    fresh steamed veggies as your base. Broccoli beef, mushroom chicken,
    string bean chicken are all listed as "Wok Smart" on their nutritional guide.
    While they don't add MSG, it seems all of their sodiumcounts are on the high side.
    I've taken to making egg foo yung at home....egg whites, bean sprouts,
    mushrooms, shrimp/chicken and green onion.

And like the other posters have said, everything in moderation!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Ni hao!! If you mean the Americanized Chinese food in food courts and the like, it can be very high in calories and sodium alike. I do splurge on it every now and then, however.

China-style chinese food is a bit different, and has more choice o somewhat healthy dishes :)
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Like everyone has said u can still have it but just make smart choices...I love Asian food all types but just go for better options like Stir fries rather than deep fry steamed dim sims and rice rather than fried or look up the cals before hand, or balance it with extra water and exercise....u can't deprive your self of everything other wise life would suck and be boring!
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Anything you can get fried, you can usually get steamed with the sauce on the side if you ask. I get rid of the rice and eat the veggies and meat with a little bit of the sauce, so I get all the flavor without all the fat and salt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    My fav BEEF CHOW FUN. I do have to counter with exercise to eat a good enough portion though.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    i love mongolian BBQ! Had some last month for the first time in over 18 months. Now I want some!!!!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    If you make it yourself it can be outstandingly healthy - and so low in calories that you'll struggle to stuff your stomach with enough to get a decent 500 calorie meal if you forgo the rice and noodles.

Takeout "American" Chinese, though, is very high in fat and sugar. Very high. It's also hard to account for in your food diary because you're basically just guessing what they put in it. If you watch them cook, they use cups of oil, not tablespoons.

OTOH, the basic themes that work for everywhere else can serve you well at a Chinese restaurant, too. Soups, simple meats, fresh veggies and steamed rice are hard to mess up. Last time we had Chinese I ate a big bowl of hot and sour soup, two teriyaki chicken on a stick (appetizers), a spring roll (not a fried egg roll), and a little bit of rice I swiped from the kid's meal. Whole meal came in (best guess) at around 600 Cal.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    I meant to add, but forgot, that MSG is not universally bad. It gets a bad rap, and the front page of a google search will yield tons of woo sites about the dangers of MSG.

MSG is a natural substance found in all kinds of things like yeast and cheeses. Commercial MSG is manufactured now, but it is chemically identical to the glutimates found in these natural foods. It is made in your own body!

Some people do have reactions to large amounts of it - most usually flushing of the face - but if you're not sensitive to it, there is no reason to avoid it. I use it in my own kitchen at home.
    The American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology has concluded that MSG is not an allergen and is a safe food ingredient. It is possible that a person might have a mild reaction to extremely large doses of MSG, but that it is usually transient and benign.

Here's more info if you're interested:
    http://medsavailable.com/articles/the-truth-about-msg-allergies
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/monosodium-glutamate/AN01251
    http://www.rd411.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1175:monosodium-glutamate-msg-fact-sheet&catid=100:miscellaneous-topics&Itemid=394
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Depends on what you eat.

Much of their western cuisine (if you go to China you don't eat anything like you get in the west) is fried and full of calories, there's a good bit of processed foods too. They have some "healthy" options on the menu too so it really depends on what you order.

Ive worked with many chinese cultures and the food the US has, is not the real stuff... its americanized chinese food.

If you really want to experience the REAL cuisine of China, you would need to find an authentic restaurant where they serve exactly what the Chinese eat in their country.

My best friend from Taiwan owns a Japanese/Chinese/Korean fusion restaurant where they have an authentic menu from their country. I wont order from any other restaurant because of the freshness and authenticity... AND its actually affordable. They make a dish called "Pork with Sour Cabbage" - fresh thinly sliced pork, mung bean noodles, soured cabbage (basically their version of sauerkraut), onion, in a fresh homemade vegetable stock with some of the cabbage-brine for flavor. For $9.99+tax, I have enough soup for another meal.

The other posters are actually spot on though... stick with things like Beef w/Broccoli, Moo-Goo-Gai-Pan is actually another good dish that is steamed. A nice Tofu dish that isnt swimming in thick syrupy sauces is also a great alternative....

Even if the place does not use MSG, many of the products they purchase can still contain high levels of sodium....
  • cramernh
    i love mongolian BBQ! Had some last month for the first time in over 18 months. Now I want some!!!!

I have a mongolian grill at work.... it is so much fun cooking on that!!! AND, creating dishes too!
  • sistertransister
    sistertransister Posts: 56 Member
    i love it too!!! :) stir fry can be just as unhealthy as the fried entrees due to the oil they use. some places will do "stock velveting" where the entree is cooked in the steamed chicken or vegetable stock instead of oil. PF Changs offers this option on almost all of their entrees. this offers a healthier alternative to eating something i love! :)
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    I actually had that today, at a buffet place, in hindsight I would have rather ordered a dish than the buffet and I didn't even notice the mongolian bbq that was way at the back until I had finished my first plate. They had all the veggies and meat that you could create your own dish and grilled on the spot, that would have been way better.
  • cramernh
    just got home and remembered this thread... our Mongolian grill got sold out today that it had to shut down 40 minutes early! LOL!!!

We always have one protein and tofu, plenty of broccoli, and a mixed vegetable to cook on the m-grill. They always get a choice of Lo-Mein noodles (made from wheat flour), brown rice and white rice... We went through 25# of beef, 20# of chicken, 10# of tofu, and even the vegetables went also! Our Chinese chef laughed her butt off - she had no food at ALL!!!!