Injected & Oral Steroids

Options
I have a severe allergic reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac, and my doctor gave me a steroid shot tonight and prescribed two weeks of oral steroids. I am looking forward to relief from the itchy rash, but as nervous about weight gain. This is my first time on any form of steroid so I have no idea how my body will react. The doctor told me to expect some jitters, water retention, and weight gain. I plan to continue to my calories in vs calories out tracking, but am apprehensive. Anyone willing to share their experience? Did you gain weight? If so, how much? Did you notice a difference in your appetite? Thanks for sharing!

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My mom was prescribed steroids and developed diabetes some time afterwards. Her pharmacist brother blames the steroids for killing her pancreas :(
  • AngelsheriHackley
    Options
    Do not take steroids unless you have to in 1998 I gain over 60 pounds and it's not easy to home off ask for an alternative medication.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    When my daughter gets put on steroids she gains around 3-5 pounds (which is a lot, she is only 2) but it always goes away within a few days of being off of them.

I would rather be a bit puffy than be having a severe allergic reaction. I may be crazy, though.
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just came off of 2 weeks of oral steroids for a contact dermatitis. Lost weight each week. You won't have a problem with a 2 week steroid regimen. People who have problems with steroids are on them for extended periods of time.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was on steroids for a very short time after I had an allergic reaction to something (I think it was Chap-Stick but I was told that was not possible) and I remember being very hungry! Best advice I can give is to make sure you have fruits and veggies cut up all the time and ready to be eaten. I kept a bag of salad in the fridge all the time too. If you can precook and preportion meats like chicken or turkey that will help also. The last think I wanted to do was cook because I was sooooo hungry. Good luck :)
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been on prednisone since 1990. Ididnt gain weight, but it is a low dose. However when I increase to 80 mg a day I start to retain water. So watch how much salt you take in. Also some people it does make hungry..not me..so what your intake. Otherwise if you do gain anything it willl be water weight and it will go away when you are finished taking it. Maybe dont weigh yourself until you are ff of it...hope you are feeling better.Also if you are diabetic it can raise your blood sugars..if not dont worry about it
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was on steroids for a very short time after I had an allergic reaction to something (I think it was Chap-Stick but I was told that was not possible) and I remember being very hungry! Best advice I can give is to make sure you have fruits and veggies cut up all the time and ready to be eaten. I kept a bag of salad in the fridge all the time too. If you can precook and preportion meats like chicken or turkey that will help also. The last think I wanted to do was cook because I was sooooo hungry. Good luck :)

First of all... you're just taking it for a short time... it's not going to kill your pancreas. Don't worry about that (in case you were). I mean, what else are you going to do? An allergic reaction like that requires some drastic measures to treat it.

Second... when I had to take prednisone for an allergic reaction, it was just about the most miserable I've ever felt--I got daily headaches, was angry and aggressive (I'm usually pretty easygoing), was very jittery, and was hungry more often. However... I also found that if I didn't eat a bunch of crap all the time, I didn't gain weight. So... I agree with the advice that you should arm yourself with healthy food. Just because you have steroid munchies doesn't mean you have to eat junk food. Maybe try to steer clear of caffeine if you can... your body is going to be sensitive and overstimulated enough as it is, and caffeine just makes it worse.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon! :(
  • HungryMom
    Options
    Maybe try to steer clear of caffeine if you can... your body is going to be sensitive and overstimulated enough as it is, and caffeine just makes it worse.

Should have read this earlier today. LOL My medium DD coffee had me outrunning my two year old at Gymboree. And now I have a headache. A cup before my race Saturday may give the extra push for a PR. :tongue: The rash still looks pretty nasty, but I was finally able to sleep tonight and am not to terribly itchy today. Thanks for the input everyone. I am drinking lots of water and cut-up a bunch of cucumber and broccoli this afternoon.