Does anyone get their RDA of fiber?

Options
My eyes were opened today about how much fiber I need to help lower my cholesterol.

Any ideas? I think I need more available at the house so I can start eating more. I have been slacking on eating fresh vegetables. Help someone!

5'4" Started 9/5/11 @ 234
P.W. 228.9
C.W. 227.4
G.W. 125

Replies

• ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The best kind of fiber for lowering cholesterol is soluble fiber. Oatmeal, veggies, fruits, and nuts are great sources of this! I eat high fiber instant oatmeal a lot during the week and Fiber One Cereal too.
  • seastreifel
    Options
    I add a tsp of benefibre to my water with breakfast, lunch, and dinner- cant taste it and it helps curb cravings!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it's pretty easy to add the fiber, I have bran fiber and psyllium fiber sitting here for adding to most items... mashed potatoes? bran fiber added.... pancakes? your choice.... yogurt? sure enough.
    bowl of "bran flakes" that you add a handful of raisins to turning them into "raisin bran" without the sugar? mmmm
    pasta sauce can have the fiber added... a bit here and there adds up... sprinkle it on your peanut butter toast... depends on what I'm trying to boost nutrient wise but I use my protein powder in all the same places and more...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I almost always have 30+ grams of fiber a day. I find it in everything I eat! Kashi cereals, fiber or clif snack bars, vegetables, Metamucil, flax seeds, walnuts, even my marie callender frozen meal had 7 g of fiber in it :)
  • annika27
    Options
    Kellogg's makes fiber bars that are delicious! I get the chocolatey peanut butter ones at Costco, and you get six boxes in a pack.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Black Beans, Oatmeal (Steel Cut or Old Fashioned), Fresh Veggies and fruit. I also buy this high fiber tortilla wrap from La Tortilla Factory (12grams of fiber WOW!). I get around 30 grams per day
  • treesap84
    Options
    I'm not sure what the RDA requirement is, but I always seem to have at least 25 grams a day. I think the key is eating whole grains (e.g. oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta/bread), veggies and fruit.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I get most of my fiber from fruit, I eat an apple or two a day. :)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Read an article just this week in Good Housekeeping that 10 grams of soluble fiber per day is recommended for reducing dangerous belly fat. I shoot for about 25 grams per day total fiber. It can be hard to do, but there are lots of good foods out there that have great fiber in them. Make sure to add fiber gradually to your diet and drink plenty of liquids. It can make you bloated, gassy, and constipated if you don't. (Sorry just didn't want you to be blindsided by the possible side affects!)

Sources:
    Whole Wheat bread
    Beans
    Whole fruits (juice doesn't have the fiber)
    Fruits with skins on (apples, pears, etc)
    Veggies
    Oatmeal
    Broccoli

Good luck!!!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Brownies are great and apples are a good source of fiber. Kroger's Active Lifestyle cereal is really good too and high in fiber I have considered taking a supplement but don't know what to take and dont want anything that makes me feel bloated
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    :smile: :flowerforyou: Thanks everyone for the help. Now I just need to do it, and looks like I have my tools in hand now thanks all. I realize there is no excuse not to get enough, I'm not paying close attn to that though. Funny thing I have been eating more oatmeal than ever, I like it like McDonalds makes especially with apples. I use to get bored with it more plain & there is no reason for that either.

The RDA is 20g-35g & there is just an unlimited resource!!! Awesome everyone!! :flowerforyou:

5' 4"
    S.W. 234 (Started 9/5/11)
    P.W. 227.4 (Sept. 12, 2011)
    P.W. 228.9 (Sept. 19, 2011)
    C.W. 227.4 (Sept. 26, 2011) ~~~>Making progress
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I get my RDA! I stick to oatmeal & Fiber One breakfast bars. Both are yummy & easy to add when I need calories and/or fiber! Fiber one also makes cereal & brownies. Kelloggs actually makes a bar with a higher fiber count. Those are tastey too!
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my fiber! Right now, it's due to blueberries, but fresh fruits and multigrain when it comes to anything "bready" is always a good idea. I also get the crystal light singles with fiber added for when I need some flavour for my water.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I always try to get between 35-40 grams of fiber a day. You have to start small and work your way up or you could have some digestive issues, like gas, diarrhea or even really bad cramping. So start with 12 grams and add 5 grams every few weeks until you get to where you need to be. Also, don't know if you know this but, 35g of fiber flushes 130 calories daily! One more good reason to eat the RDA amount of fiber! Hope this helps!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I almost always get my full RDA of fiber.

I've been on a crazy sweet potato kick lately - in addition to 7g fiber per 1cup serving, they have a crazy amount of potassium (something I have a much harder time reaching my RDA on). I recommend skipping the butter and marshmallow crap (which I hate on them anyway) and cut them into fries - toss with a little olive oil, a dash of sea salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper and bake at 450F for 20-30-ish minutes (turn frequently and watch for burning on the edges). Or cut them up into a stir fry. Or cut into cubes and put in a crock pot with carrots, onions, and a pork roast with one of those dry packets of bbq seasoning (I'm a little sad that I don't have anymore leftovers of this...made it a few days ago and it was fantabulous). Oh, and black beans (also high-fiber) cooked with onions, sweet potatoes, and corn makes a very tasty side dish, too.

My other favorites for fiber are steel-cut oatmeal (with craisins and brown sugar), high fiber wheat bread (I love pepperidge farms ancient grains bread), kellog's fiber plus chocolately peanut butter bars (delish), or you can buy soluble fiber gummy supplements at your local drugstore.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am usually way over on fiber. I buy the Nature's Own double fiber bread. It is 50 cals a slice and I think 5 grams of fiber. I also like the fiber one products, especially the brownies and chewy bars. Fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains, and beans also have fiber.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Almonds and fruits are my best friends.
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    I had the opposite of constipation the first time I added those fiber pills to my diet. I did not know it causes all that, thanks! I will be careful to add it gradually.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know salads as health food is so 20 years ago, but really.... eat more salads! I'm talking non-iceburg lettuce, mix it up with the veggies (I like carrots, broccoli, cukes, cherry tomatoes and roasted peppers), add some beans and onions if you like and find a great low-cal dressing - there are a lot out there. I like Whole Foods Pomegranate Vinagrette.

Try to incorporate stir fries into your meal plans. You don't need any oil to sautee the veggies, just a little bit of water. You can get pre-packaged frozen veggies in the supermarket. Add to any whole grain and find your favorite stir fry sauce (or make your own). Here is one of my favorite recipes that I like to tweak http://www.theppk.com/2010/10/miso-soba-stir-fry-with-greens-and-beans/

I toss frozen fruit in the blender with my vegan whole food supplement (Vega or the Ultimate Meal), but you can do simply water and frozen fruit. Also add groud flaxseed meal, a source of omega 3 and fiber. (If you're feeling crazy, try to find some chia seeds).

I try to eat mostly whole grains. Oatmeal is a great source of soluble fiber (as are citrus and apples) which can slow the absorption of sugar in your bloodstream and reduce cholesterol levels.

Fiber supplements are good, but whole fruits and veggies prevent against disease and have so many important vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals (and flavor! lol) that fiber supplements alone cannot provide.
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    I love it, I am getting an education on fiber now. It is a good thing I asked, then I shall receive.
    I will be careful to add it slowly, I am at about 12 grams right now. That is a plan to add 5 grams every few wks, sounds alittle complicated. I will just do the best that I can & as long as I am aware I need to make a change I should make progress.

I am so happy to hear that 35 grams of fiber daily flushes 130 calories!!! That is part of flushing out the particals of fat out of our system right?

Thanks!