Guilty?

Options
I don't really know if this should honestly go under guilty, but I figure better here than anywhere because its about food. I often feel guilty for eating and I know thats probably a bad thing and I shouldn't, but I really just can't help it. When I sat down to eat dinner tonight I sat there and stared at the food and thought to myself. "I shouldn't eat this, I've already had enough calories for the day and I don't need it." And then of course I ate it because its food and I was hungry. Afterward, I just felt like crap though. Becuase I knew I shouldn't have eaten it, and I knew I could have skipped that meal and been totally fine.

Do you ever do this?

Replies

• carmenhernandez
    Options
    Worse, at least you think about it. I just continue to eat. I don't get why I do it. I changed 5 times this morning because my clothes don't fit me. I'm very unhappy with my weight but I keep eating. I wish I has work out buddies to help motivate me.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    All the time. Especially if it is a snack that I don't "need" but I want it and then I eat it and I think to myself "why did I just do that?"
  • erinmichelle85
    Options
    I do it too, but my guilt often shifts from general guilt to whether or not I deserve it. Skipping meals isn't really a better solution though...
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yes :(
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have moments where I'm like that. Last night, for example, I REALLY wanted to keep munching. I ended up making my lunch for today because I just wanted to be around food, and somehow putting it in the fridge helped me be OK with not eating it right then as long as I got to make it right then... kinda weird.

I think the hardest part is breaking the cycle, and I definitely agree with the advice that when you're feeling that way the best thing to do is get out and get some exercise. Plus, if you work out enough, you might be able to earn back the calories and enjoy your meal without guilt!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    What was for dinner? Was it something unhealthy? Is there a way you can change what you are looking at and be happy with how it looks and excited for how nutritious it is and how it is there to fuel your body with energy? It sounds lame I know, but I have two extremes-healthy and non healthy-I'm getting back to my heatlhy extreme-sometimes I go to the produce section of the store and just stand and stare in amazement at the fact that man doesn't even need to manufacture boxed food and snacks to eat-nature grows it for us...(alright I know man messes with nature but that's not the point).
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to feel guilty literally about everything I put in my mouth. But I TRY not to waste time or energy with regret anymore. It happened. It's over. Not everyday will be perfect. & that's okay because I don't think perfect is sustainable. You just have to try to find a routine that works for you and fits into your life as well as possible. For me, exercising is what made everything fall into place. It gives me the leg room i need with food. Because in all honesty, I like to eat! I had my last 10lbs to lose when I joined at the beginning of August, as of today I have 4 left to go. And as long as you have more good days than bad you'll get to where you want to be. Just not tomorrow. So be patient.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Use your guilty feelings to drive you to achieve your goals. And then savour the feelings of sweet satisfaction.

I've got a few days this week where I will be eating out, once in a restaurant so I can eat least choose what goes on my plate, and twice at relatives' homes where I don't have a choice of selection, only how much of the servings that I eat. I don't want to undo my good work so I am trying really hard to plan and manage my calories for the rest of the week. This morning I logged into MFP and entered all my meals and snacks for the day so that I can avoid that exact same experience that you described.

Anyway, when it happens, move past it as quickly as you can and I am sure you will achieve your goals soon.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Try to let go of that guilt and just allow yourself to make better choices as often as possible. nobody is perfect.
    try to incorporate lots of fresh, nutrient rich foods, this will be very satisfying for your body. the less hungry you feel the more willpower you will have. and it feel more positive to think about all the wonderful foods you "can" have instead the items you "can't" have. Although, I don't do well with rigid rules anway, I prefer to "choose" healthy foods instead of feeling like I "have to" have them.
    not sure if I'm making sense. I know what I mean, but not sure if it's clear to anyone else!!!

planning ahead is also very helpful (wishing I could take my own advice right now!!)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've mostly gotten over being guilty. I may be disappointed in myself, but I don't dwell on it anymore. It's probably the only wisdom I've gained as I've gotten older - that things that are past are past and there's no point beating myself up over something I can't change now. That's not to say I won't use it as motivation to help keep from doing that again, though.

Still, I have to ask why you were sitting down to dinner with no calories left in the budget? Is your plan messed up, or had you eaten off plan already earlier in the day so you didn't have enough left for dinner? Do you have enough calories per day to begin with? Whatever the problem was, you should concentrate on fixing that so you CAN eat dinner, IMO. Nobody ever lost weight long-term by skipping meals.
  • shrinkingtam
    shrinkingtam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :smile: I relate! Remeber to give yourself some grace!
  • ahendrix12
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding! You had a lot of good ideas that I plan on trying out. It wasn't that I sat down to dinner without leway of calories. I have calories left, just knew that I didn't have to eat because I really didn't need those calories. Flawed thinking, I know. But its how my brain works. I set it aside and did some exercise and got through it. But thank you everyone. I truly appericate it. :]
  • fabi1385
    fabi1385 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when that happens to me i usually go walk for thirty minutes it wil digest the food good and i regain my motivation. A couple of weeks ago I had a slice of cheesecake at night I felt horrible, I waited about 30 minutes than I worked out for an hr. I dont know if thats a good thing or not but I felt better and I wrote a sticky note and put it on my fridge door and it says " If you don't need it don;t eat it, remember " pain is temporary but pride is forever"...hopeit helps! =) YOU CAN DO IT!