Advice Req. - Worked out big time 3 days in a row & SO SORE!

Options
I'm super new to MFP and just started working out again. Going from nothing my workouts are moderate to intense and it's making me sore (which is GREAT because no pain no gain, right?) but I'm not able to work out to the fullest intensity because it just hurts a lot. I could probably push myself harder if my muscles were less sore.

Should I be popping an advil or two and pushing through it? Or, is there something else I should be doing? Do I -need- a day of rest after a few days in a row?

Any advice/personal experiences are appreciated.

Also - Friend me if you like :) I am a bit quirky but I'm nice I PROMISE!

Replies

• emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I don't look like it yet but I excercise all the time, when I first joined MFP I trained 5-6 times a day and hurt my knee 'cuz of overtraining, if you just started excericising again your muscles are gonna hurt....I excercise 3 times a week now, over an hour at the gym and do things like walks on other days ect....my sugestion is to listen to your body, if you need a break, take a break and getting used to it again
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If your workouts use the same bodyparts, anything beyond cardio, you're gonna wanna put a day in between em, to properly repair your body.

Simple example would be do your legs one day...upper body the next...day off....legs, upper, off.

Or if you're more involved, a different body part each day.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If they're moderate to intense, you should be allowing rest days. Do intense cardio in between strength days and then have a light day or a rest day at least once a week. Also, try eating more protein (25-30%) and drinking more water to help with soreness. Water will help reduce inflammation and protein will help rebuild muscles.
  • HelloKayla
    HelloKayla Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! When I first started working out, I pushed myself really hard for a few days in a row and was super sore, almost debilitatingly so. I found if I took a day to do some very light cardio, like walking at a slow-moderate pace for maybe 30 min, I felt much better the next day and could push myself again. When you're first starting out an exercise program, it's very important to listen to your body. If you strain your muscles too hard, it could potentially result in long term damage. No good. ALSO Make sure you are wearing appropriate workout shoes with good support and are taking time to stretch both before AND after exercising. Best of luck to you!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If your workouts use the same bodyparts, anything beyond cardio, you're gonna wanna put a day in between em, to properly repair your body.

Simple example would be do your legs one day...upper body the next...day off....legs, upper, off.

To add here...because this may be a little dificult to read:
    Monday - Upper
    Tuesday - Lower
    Wednesday - Upper
    Thursday - Lower
    Friday - Upper
    Saturday - Lower
    Sunday - RELAX

Also, be sure that you are not just jumping into extreme work-outs. You sould be doing more damage than good
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Definitely give yourself some breaks. Listen to your body - it will tell you A LOT. I know for me, there is the "I'm so sore, but you better work through the pain" and then there's the "I'm so sore and I really need to take a break and recharge" - learning when to push yourself more and when to give yourself a break is all part of learning to live a healthy lifestyle.

Also, it is common to be very sore the first week, and often two weeks of high intense work outs - again, your body is adjusting to something it hasn't experienced in a very long time, if ever - gradually build up your intensity so you don't run yourself to the ground.

And congrats on pushing yourself so hard - it shows you have motivation and drive :) Definitely keep those!
  • FoxSeales
    FoxSeales Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Galaxyhearts welcome to MFP =)

From personal experience and some reading, I would recommend you rest a day in between your work outs. Your muscles need time to recover from the new found work.

What you CAN do in between a rest day it a go for a less intense walk ( I hope it isn't too cold).

Don't try to overdo it, plan a work out schedule, don't forget your rest days. Make it consistent and I'm sure you will succeed and will find you will stick with it. Atleast thats what works for me :)

GL
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options

To add here...because this may be a little dificult to read:
    Monday - Upper
    Tuesday - Lower
    Wednesday - Upper
    Thursday - Lower
    Friday - Upper
    Saturday - Lower
    Sunday - RELAX

Also, be sure that you are not just jumping into extreme work-outs. You sould be doing more damage than good

Perfect - that is really clear. I'm sure if anyone did what I do for working out it would be considered to be pretty mild but I'm so out of shape it isn't even funny. I'll definitely work up to the more intense stuff. No Insanity or P90X for me yet haha! :)

Thanks again!