Cheese...

Options
Cheese is my greatest weakness. Chock it up to Swiss blood.

So I'm grocery shopping soon and don't want to hate myself for the cheese I put on the list. Anyone know of some yummy diet-friendly cheeses?

Replies

• kkova811
    kkova811 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I love cheese but everyone seems to be against it. I use Laughing Cow or Weight Watchers spreadable swiss cheese wedges sometimes.
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I love cheese but everyone seems to be against it. I use Laughing Cow or Weight Watchers spreadable swiss cheese wedges sometimes.

I second that.
    & they're only 35 cals
    :happy:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I actually eat cheese often. Easy protein and fats! Plus with the huge amounts of coffee I drink i really need the calcium. Why is everyone against cheese? Try some string cheese :[ I think its a good snack!
  • Ebbsies
    Options
    Cottage cheese is one of my all time faves, and low fat swiss/parm/feta.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/resources/food.for.thought/dairy/compare.cheese.html

http://www.gourmetfoodstore.com/gourmetclub/cheesenutritionchart.asp

In moderation, there is nothing wrong with cheese. Laughing cow is good for low cal, if you don't have much room. Goat cheese is a favorite of mine, especially on a burger, and it is pretty low cal as as well. Many cheeses have more grams of protein than saturated fat. Enjoy it in moderation.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't buy weightwatchers processed (plastic) cheese, it's disgusting (I think my husband thought he was "helping"!)
    Tine Jarlsberg reduced fat slices are real cheese and are only 45 cals/slice.
  • MelC2564
    MelC2564 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CHEESE
  • cassyparker
    Options
    I weigh my cheese to make sure I am not over using it. I also find if I grated it I use less. Cheese strings are also great :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese. I get an 8 ounce block and cut it into 8 pieces right away. It is easy, then, to grab one ounce at a time. I cut that ounce into small slices and try to really savor it.

The real trick is to go to the store knowing how many ounces you will allow yourself before your next shopping trip. I buy just one 8 ounce block a week, then one day I get an extra ounce as a treat. If I eat it sooner in the week, that is fine, I just log it - but then I will go a few days with NO cheese. I didn't have to do that a second time!
  • Peculiarjulia
    Options
    Try using a very mature cheddar or a strong tasting cheese like parmesan. You will only need to use a tiny bit to get that cheesy flavour. :happy:
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Cheese is my greatest weakness. Chock it up to Swiss blood.

So I'm grocery shopping soon and don't want to hate myself for the cheese I put on the list. Anyone know of some yummy diet-friendly cheeses?

I'm originally from WI so I feel your pain!!! My faves so far are:

Spread-Alloutte garlic and herb light
    Shredded-Kraft Naturals fat free shredded cheddar or WW mexi blend
    String-WW or Sargento reduced fat!!
    Cream-Philli fat free or WW creamy
    Sliced-SmartBeat cheddar

I haven't found a block cheese thats decent yet though!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Low fat feta.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Weight watcher string cheese 50 cals , Cabot cheese 50 cal packs. They were my go to when I wanted a cheese fix.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I actually eat cheese often. Easy protein and fats! Plus with the huge amounts of coffee I drink i really need the calcium. Why is everyone against cheese? Try some string cheese :[ I think its a good snack!

Here, here!

I love cheese and have it daily. I also lose body fat consistently. The only people who shouldn't eat cheese are the ones with allergies to dairy...but that's got nothing to do with weight loss anyway. If you like cheese, have it! Just don't go over on calories because of it.
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all! I'm so excited to know that I have options now! :happy:
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had been a big big fan of cheese up until last week. I didn't eat it a whole lot, but I loved all varieties of it. When I was trying to eat healthy, I would kill lowfat string cheese and cottage cheese. I watched two movies last week that were anti big food business and pro whole food lifestyles. They put the scare in me. According to what I watched, cheese and dairy are some of the biggest contributors to cancer growth. It also stated that elevated animal proteins also increased acidity in the body, thus creating a need for extra calcium, that your body handled by sucking the calcium out of your bones, thus making it necessary to take in more calcium. Problem is dairy lobbyists have paid the government to convince us that our strongest supply of calcium is dairy, instead of vegetable sources.
  • JuliaMarie_87
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cheese as long as you aren't eating a ton of it every day. Like everything, eat it in moderation. I eat cheese and wheat thin crackers on an almost daily basis as my afternoon snack. Right now I have the Precious Colby Jack stick cheese. Its only 90 calories per stick. Combine that with a serving of reduced fat wheat thins and I'm good to go!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I go for reduced fat real cheese, rather than the processed stuff. I don't do fat free because I fear the additives may be worse than the saturated fat and calories, which is also why I don't usually by processed cheese. But reduced fat usually has no additives, it's just a little dryer than whole milk cheese.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Soooo glad I'm allergic to cheese! :D
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    mmm... cheese is my downfall, too. I do the laughing cow wedges. I have low fat cottage cheese with some NON sweetened strawberries most everyday. My fav, though, is getting extra sharp cheddar and (like a PP said) I immediately cut it into 1 oz portions. I find a little sharp cheddar goes a long way b/c of the strong flavor. I just tried Low Fat Feta - that is yummy! I tried the fat free and it wasn't bad - it was pretty salty, though... and the way it would NOT melt was kind of creepy to me (that is b/c there is no fat in it TO melt). I like Blue cheese, too - it's another one with strong flavor.