Weight training program

Options
I've found a basic weight training program on bodybuilding.com

I am not a beginner to weight, I've just always had preassigned work outs from the coach.. Now I'm feeling so lost on what is good.

Can anyone recommend a plan or steer my in the right direction? I want a plan I can stick with for a few months so I'm not nipping around doing whatever. If you like the plan on bodybuilding.com and think I should stick w that, please let me know :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh and if anyone has any info/plans on weights for swimmers i will be forever grateful!
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    Buy the book New rules of lifting for women......it's GREAT! :)
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The basic compound exercises (Squats, Bench, Pullups, Rows, Shoulder press, etc.) are always part of an effective weight plan.

As a fellow swimmer the extra thing we need to keep in mind is strengthening our shoulders. Especially if like me you predominantly swim freestyle. So mixing sessions up where you do shoulder press/shruge, pushups/rows, pullups/dips and some lateral raises just so you can get your shoulders rotating in different directions will help too.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just as rompoc01 suggested, compound exercises. Don't even waste your time with isolation exercises until you have a good foundation of muscle. And also don't worry about bulking up, most women do not have the testosterone levels to really bulk up unless they are juicing. I would suggest checking out a website called "The WeightTrainer" for anyone wanting to get into building muscle. Read some of the articles by Dr. Casey Butt, it will give you some great information.