I HATE BANANAS BUT...

Options
I cannot stand bananas unless i am craving them (which is rare) or putting it on peanut butter and banana sandwiches... Any suggestions of what I can put bananas in that doesn't taste like bananas and/or besides taking a vitamin tablet (because i cannot swallow pills and the pills make me sick) but i need potassium, how i can get potassium. I am sick of getting leg cramps in the middle of the night and I have been told one cause can be the lack of potassium. Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    i read that if you freeze bananas and then put them in the blender for a while they are a great sub for ice cream. i've never tasted it, but i bet if you put some toppings on it, you wouldn't notice it.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yeah that fronanas is supposed to be good....its like the texture of frozen yogurt
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bananas if you don't like them! There are other potassium rich foods: Orange, potato, tomato, watermelon, beans, some type of cereals, dried fruits such as peaches, dates, apricots, raisins etc., meat, grapes, milk, egg-yogurt, spinach etc.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Oranges.
  • jmatthews75
    Options
    •High potassium foods (more than 200 mg per serving):
    ◦One papaya (781).
    ◦One cup of prune juice (707).
    ◦One cup of cubed cantaloupe (494) or diced honeydew melon (461).
    ◦One small banana (467).
    ◦One-third cup of raisins (363).
    ◦One medium mango (323) or kiwi (252).
    ◦One small orange (237) or one-half cup of orange juice (236).
    ◦One medium pear (208).
    •Medium potassium foods (100-200 mg per serving):
    ◦One medium peach (193).
    ◦One cup of watermelon (176).
    ◦One small apple (159) or one-half cup of apple juice (147).
    ◦One-half cup of peaches canned in juice (158).
    ◦One-half cup of canned pineapple (152).
    ◦One-half cup of fresh, sliced strawberries (138).
    •Low potassium foods (less than 100 mg per serving):
    ◦One-half cup of mandarin oranges (98).
    ◦Ten small grapes (93).
    ◦One-half cup of sweetened applesauce (78).
    ◦One-half cup of fresh blueberries (63).
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bananas if you don't like them! There are other potassium rich foods: Orange, potato, tomato, watermelon, beans, some type of cereals, dried fruits such as peaches, dates, apricots, raisins etc., meat, grapes, milk, egg-yogurt, spinach etc.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    i read that if you freeze bananas and then put them in the blender for a while they are a great sub for ice cream. i've never tasted it, but i bet if you put some toppings on it, you wouldn't notice it.

I can vouch for this =)
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Woops! I meant to quote that! Anyway a supplement might really be good for you even though you don't like pills. Especially if you are cramping.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from leg cramps that wake me up, but for me it's a calcium deficiancy, not potassium. Has the doctor confirmed it's Potassium? I'm just wondering, because if it was I'd assume your body would "CRAVE" bananas more often.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Pomegranates! :bigsmile: It's better to find a food you'd enjoy rather than trying to trick yourself into eating on that you don't.
  • jmatthews75
    Options
    I love bananas to be honest. I could live on an island with just bananas it really is the worlds perfect food. lol
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    a white potato has more potassium in it than a banana....i think jackie from thintervention said that
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love bananas to be honest. I could live on an island with just bananas it really is the worlds perfect food. lol

I love them too. :)

Great fast energy food, good breakfast when I'm being lazy. You can add them to a lot of things, like smoothies, and they are like ice cream when you freeze them. That's a superfood right there!
  • jmatthews75
    Options
    frozen banana mixed with some peanute butter in the blender... oh yeah, don't forget the hersheys....
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    put passionfruit over them....

I love bananas, there filling they have a easily removable package...
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    thats something you gotta be creative with.

you can put them in cereal.
    drinks (smoothies, ice cream)
    put chocolate on the banana when you freeze it.

there so much you could do.
    even make banana bread out of it.

maybe you dont like the taste of the banana.
    but it doesnt hurt to try putting in things that might make it taste really good.
    i hope that helps a bit
  • ShanaJo87
    ShanaJo87 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    asyouseefit- Thank you for the suggestions. I guess i should have said I don't like oranges either and I LOVE spinach. I have been trying to eat more fresh spinach.
    jmatthews75- Thank you. I will see what I can do.
    netchik- it may also be calcium too i dont drink milk. im not lactose intolerant but milk does make me sick. I hate the taste. I've been drinking Almond Milk every once in a while.
    PrettyThinful- I love banana nut bread. it doesn't taste like bananas. I like that. I love the chocolate idea but i am allergic. I can have dark chocolate too. just cant have too much!
    capriciousmoon- I forgot about pomagranates! thank you
    dumb_blondes_roc- I actually eat potatoes raw! i love them.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No point in eating Bananas if you don't like them. Choose something else that you do like. Someone here has put on a long list of alternatives :wink:
  • julzmm
    julzmm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sometimes cramps/pins and needles, come from lack of salt/sodium too
  • ShanaJo87
    ShanaJo87 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Woops! I meant to quote that! Anyway a supplement might really be good for you even though you don't like pills. Especially if you are cramping.

Its not that i dont like pills. I can't swallow them! I dont know what it is either. I am supposed to be on Zinc, Iron, Calcium. and Potassium pills (all prescribed by a doctor) but they all make me sick, i feel nauseated an hour after taking them. I have tried taking one instead of all of them and its all of them that makes me sick. I also take cranberry pills and they don't make me nauseous at all.