Help please! Eating on the hoof, let's hear your ideas!

Options
I hope this thread will help lots of us, not just me.

I'm a typical, busy person. I am a full time mature student, and I work two jobs. Today for example, I studied for 3 hours this morning, then will go to job no.1 between 11.30am and 6pm, then I'll work 7pm til 11pm in my second job - it will take about 40 minutes to commute between the two jobs. Granted I'm usually not doing this much running around, but I am usually pretty busy. Oh, and I have a sensitivity to wheat, so the usual bread, pasta etc types of food are out.

The day's eating started well with porridge and coffee... but what can I grab that won't break the bank calorie-wise, and will fill me up sufficiently to stop a raid on unhealthy things later on?

Now okay, work no. 1 will feed me if I want (but its a posh pub and last time I let them feed me soup thinking it was the healthy option I realised it had cream in it... everything else is pastry and fattening or wheaty stuff, so I'd prefer to take my own. But WHAT?

Last week was great in that I discovered individual pots of reduced fat houmus, and had that with carrot sticks and wheat free crackers. But what else can I have in the house, that is easy to grab and go, for those eating on the run moments?

Replies

• vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i try nutri-grain bars for emergency eating and banana's.....
  • gipperakh
    gipperakh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wholly guacamole makes 100 calorie packs now, get some reduced fat/light chips or veggies to go with it. String cheese, yogurts and some berries, laughing cow cheese wedges on some of those wheat free crackers...
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you coud make a yummy chicken salad with avacado and olive oil and white wine vinegar, wholegrain mustard. put it into portions and pack with you. something like that :)
  • msowens
    msowens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would say lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Many fruits are highly portable, they are in their own packaging!

I assume the posh pub has salad makings and some sort of chicken? Try a big salad with shredded chicken, walnuts, cranberries or other fruit, and minimal dressing. The water content in the salad will fill you up and the protein in the chicken and nuts will help you feel satisfied.

Hummus is awesome. Try it with kalamata olives.

Is wheat the problem, or gluten? Maybe you can find gluten-free pitas? Otherwise, maybe you can make pinole "cookies", very healthy and portable too. I like this recipe: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/tarahumara-pinole-chia-recipes/

Good luck!
  • LynsayG
    Options
    I always keep an Alpen Light Bar on me (only 62 calories per bar) and also a peach (low in calories around 37 calories) and also great for helping to lower cholesterol, regenerating skin tissue and they also contain many essential vitamins) :o) Hope this helps!
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road a lot!! So I am always grabbing stuff on the run. Now I'm not sure if you're in the UK or not but as you mentioned a Pub I'm assuming you are :wink:

Marks and Spencer do mini popcorn bags which I find great - they have a mixed bag of salted,m cheese and onion and sweet n salty. All tasty and all very handy - I'm pretty sure they are wheat free! (They also do popcorn covered with choc and pecans OMG to die for and 130 cals per bag!!)

Just because soup has cream in it doesn't make it all that bad!!! Unless you're having loads of fat during the day its normally ok and far better than other on the go snacks.

I also go for McDonalds Grilled chicken and bacon salad with Balsamic dressing - very Yum and quick.

M&S also do some fab salad - particular fav of mine is the Lochmuir Salmon and potato salad - 280 cals (just get some chewing gum ready as there is a lot of garlic in it!!!) They do a deal of the salad and a fruit salad for a fiver - realling filling meal for under 500 cals,

Another trick I have for winter - I bought a microwaveable food flask! I heat up chilli / soup / curry ect and pop it in the food flask and it keeps warm until mid afternoon.

Hope this helps!!
  • Julianacaceres
    Options
    Pop corn is a good one. Take homemade one ,only salted. Rice crackers, asian noodle salad. A good alternative are korean vermicelli, which are made from sweet potato starch, or just rice noodles, and if you reaally wanna save on calories try shirataki noodles which have zero calories, the texture is very different but you will get used to it if youre open to new foods ..they are tasteless but will absorb any sauce you pair them with. Take mixed leaves with some chicken breast and a small container of nuts some cranberries or currants and some balsamic vinegar ( just small containers you can put together into a salad in like a minute)
    You can pre cack em whenever youve got a spare few minutes at home. You can also on the weekend make some polenta. Grill into squares and take along with salsa or mushroom/ tomato pasta sauce and top at lunchtime.

Hope that helped some :)
  • Julianacaceres
    Options
    Pop corn is a good one. Take homemade one ,only salted. Rice crackers, asian noodle salad. A good alternative are korean vermicelli, which are made from sweet potato starch, or just rice noodles, and if you reaally wanna save on calories try shirataki noodles which have zero calories, the texture is very different but you will get used to it if youre open to new foods ..they are tasteless but will absorb any sauce you pair them with. Take mixed leaves with some chicken breast and a small container of nuts some cranberries or currants and some balsamic vinegar ( just small containers you can put together into a salad in like a minute)
    You can pre cack em whenever youve got a spare few minutes at home. You can also on the weekend make some polenta. Grill into squares and take along with salsa or mushroom/ tomato pasta sauce and top at lunchtime.

• Julianacaceres
    Options

• Julianacaceres
    Options
    Sorry about the spam dont know how that happened
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    over the last few days I've been making wraps to take to work with me and I found them pretty compact and easy to eat on the run
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ps . i also find tubs of yoghurt good to pop in my bag
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - clearly I'm going to have to raid M&S - what a shame! :bigsmile: