Strange Weight Loss Patterns

Options
Hey Guys,

Ok here's the thing.

I'm a big guy, and have set my daily calories at 1200. Sometimes I go over, but by and large I'm pretty good with it and am consistently losing a decent amount so far.

I'm also a serial weigher, and cannot force myself past the bathroom scales without having a peek.

I have noticed that 1 week I will hardly shift a pound, the following week I will shift quite a bit seemingly overnight.

For example the last 7-8 days I have stuck on the same weight give or take 1lb, yet I hop on the scales today and am showing a 5lb loss from yesterday.

How can this be? Doesn't make sense to me.

Only difference I can see is that I did loads of exercise last week, and not so much this week? Does it take a while to catch up or something?

It's nice, but unexpected and it kind of feels like I have no control over it, which as a control freak concerns me !

Replies

• lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i'm no expert :smile: but i've heard on here previously that what you did last week you will see the results of this week..
  • allenlisa
    Options
    I'd say it's mostly water. When you workout you tear up your muscles and they retain water to repair themselves. So if you stop or slow the exercise your body has time to repair and loose the water. So keep eating healthy, exercising and drinking plenty of water!! Oh & quit weighing yourseslf every day ;)
  • kbrown1171
    Options
    Sounds like me. I'm on the scale so much I've thought about ditching mine and only weighing myself when I go to the doctor. Sometimes I am so defined by what the dang scale says that it can make or break my day. So NOT a good way to be. I fluctuate all the time as well but the way I see it is if my weight keeps going down I'm ok, even if today it shows I'm up a pound or two. I monitor how well I am doing by a weekly loss so if one day I'm up and the next I'm down I'm ok with it. Good luck and don't put too much worry or thought into it if you're having over-all positive progress. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • meversusfatty
    Options
    I have the same problem. I only see true weight loss after I have a "down day" from exercising. I'm not sure if it's water retention or what, but now that I know the pattern my motivation isn't affected when I see a plateau in weight loss - I just take a day off.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
  • debydeb57
    Options
    im the same way... i try tho not to weigh myself daily but its hard with the scale in the bathroom.. so i guess im moving it to another room or at least staying off of it...

i also find that even tho im sticking to the 1200 calories i have set for myself... (tho yesterday i went over) i am not loosing any weight.. my daughter and i were talking about that and we believe its cause i dont drink enough water... as a matter of fact i dont drink any water.. i drink alot of liquids during the day but no water... mainly iced tea...

just try to drink lots of h2o and stop going to the scales. i know its going to be hard. .but pick a day your want to weigh in and stick with it .. i will if you will. .. and i think sunday is a good day.. smiles
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys.

I only weigh in once a week, so am good on that front. If the scale says nasty things to me one day, I just beat it up a little so it knows to be nicer next time :laugh:

I kind of guessed it was probably water, just wasnt sure what was happening. Ok so I think I will just carry on with the exercising, and then have a down day or two to see what happens.

• rufflestx
    Options
    I put the scale in a room far far away from my bedroom and bath. I also heard, not verified but makes sense, you can hold 8 oz of water in your hair after a shower, your skin absorbs and holds water after a shower that takes time to evaporate, you can jump 2 pounds after "drying off" from a shower. I have convinced myself not to look but once a week, same time of day, with the same time since showering and trip to the restroom or 12 oz glass of water or eating, or exercise, or taking a massage.......lordy,,the variables will break us. Be strong, if you still feel you have to weigh yourself everyday, keep track and take the average every 7-10 days.
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 dude. Seriously. I'm cutting at 1900-2200. Started at 312lbs 5'11". got down to 252 in 4 1/2 months. You'll feel much better. I know that wasn't your question but anyway.

Stop weighing in all the time, drink more water, and look up whoosh effect.
  • TrefG
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 dude. Seriously. I'm cutting at 1900-2200. Started at 312lbs 5'11". got down to 252 in 4 1/2 months. You'll feel much better. I know that wasn't your question but anyway.

Stop weighing in all the time, drink more water, and look up whoosh effect.

Honestly I feel great.

I have 3 healthy meals a day and tend to snack on fruit. I'm finding this part easy. It's the exercise I struggle with. Hate it.

If I go over by 100 or so calories in a day then I don't beat myself up about it. But generally I think it's going well.
  • TrefG
    Options

Yes certainly some similarities.
  • Barbzilla
    Barbzilla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I lose weight. I even out for sometimes weeks at a time, then suddenly I lose 3 or 4 lbs. I just try to stay consistent in my good eating and exercise, and I constantly remind myself that if I never lost another pound, I'm still the better for it.