short curly hair

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Totally off-topic (but I guess that's what this board is designed for) ---

Long story short --- I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer one year ago. My treatments included chemo. As a result, I lost all of my beautiful poker straight long hair (I really liked my hair-do). Anyway --- my hair is coming back nicely, but now it is short (obviously) and CURLY! REALLY CURLY! I'm not sure I like it, but I am trying to deal with it (it's better than my having no hair at all) :tongue: Oh so, as you now know, my profile pic is what my hair used to do. I don't have an updated pic.

So ---- help me ---- I have no idea how to handle short hair OR curly hair. How can I make it look fun and cute and not like an old woman perm look??? Any suggestions for hair product???? That crap is expensive!

Thanks!

Replies

• Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i would say hair serum is the best it will make the curls look nice and not like an old woman perm :P

Also look online for different styles and see which one you like :) Rihanna wears her hair short and curly sometimes and it looks amazing :)

xxxxx
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    My mom had the same thing happen.......came in darker. And curlier. (90% of people seem to, it seems?) But after a period of time, that new growth, after it was trimmed/cut off, the new hair was straighter and a totally different texture than the new growth post chemo. Try some wax or pomade.....will break up the curls and give it a more piecey look. All we did with hers as far as style goes was reshape it every 4/6 weeks so it didnt have a round shape.(old lady...lol) Hope you are feeling well and doing great, also! :)
  • FauxNinja
    Options
    With those eyes, it doesn't matter. You were probably goregeous when you were completely bald.

I'm just glad you are well.
  • Hi,

I have naturally curly hair and let me tell ya, it's taken many years to figure out how to avoid the 80s perm look!

What I do now if I don't straighten it is I use serum to calm it down first and then either grip half of it up so it's a bit softer on my face or if I want to have it down when I wash it I wrap larger segments around my finger - that way when it dries it goes into more barrel curls rather than frizzy curls.

A diffuser is good too! Once it's grown a bit longer you'll have plenty more options, and like the person above me says you could maybe get some inspiration from celebs like Rihanna and go see your hairdresser?

Good luck with it though and all the best with the chemo xx
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    don't bother with the expensive stuff! i've tried EVERYTHING!! if you like "cruncy" curls, tresemme mousse for curly hair works great. it's not sticky or flaky. if you like softer curls, herbal hesence mousse "tousle me softly" is really great too.

i don't know much about styles for short hair, but i know those products work really well, and they're CHEAP!! i use tresemme shampoo anc conditioner, too :bigsmile:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    ...came in darker. And curlier. (90% of people seem to, it seems?) But after a period of time, that new growth, after it was trimmed/cut off, the new hair was straighter and a totally different texture than the new growth post chemo.

Same for one of the ladies at my office. So, as far as not liking the curly hair, as Master Po would say, "Patience, grasshopper."
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I do the curly girl method.

No/low shampooing, conditioner washing. No silicones, no sulfates.

I use a gel for hold. My curls are awesome.

You may want to go to a deva-trained cutter to get a cute cut, then think about products. The cut is what makes curly hair, imo.

Good luck! And hooray for being a survivor!!!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have never had really short curls, but I find the longer my hair is, the more I need gel, and the shorter it is, the better mousse works. I like mousse because it is very light and not sticky. I use Frizz Ease Take Charge Curl Boosting Mousse.

Good luck!! :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would say let it grow out a bit more to relax the curl before you make any decisions about the texture of your hair.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to the short curly hair issue. I don't have a respectable reason like you do for ending up with this dilemma as I decided on a whim to get a perm. My hair was trashed already from years of dying it so it basically lasted about two months before the damage freaked me out so much I had it chopped. The perm is still sticking around with short hair and my straightener decided to fail on me recently. I'm lazy to go get another one, even if its 10 bucks, but I've just been putting moisturizing type product in my hair that rids of frizz and using a serum to crunch it. I also think that a light gel works great and doesn't have to be something from the salon. I have come to enjoy this hair-do as I feel unique with short curly hair and it's super easy to style. I will be growing it out and chopping the ends off as it comes out until it's all straight again... I still miss my straight hair!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to fight what you have:) Work with it! My favorite curl cream is a whipped mousse from Sauve, it comes in a metal can/green top. Keeps my curls soft and then I use a blow dryer low heat/high fan (no diffuser - bc I don't have one:) ) and then just sprunch and dry. Then I use Herbal Essence volumizing hair spray to set and sprunch some more. Then, I finish off with a 1" curling iron to refine any curls that I need to. Then spray again and I sprunch all day long:)
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas and positive thoughts!! You guys are the best!