Beginning strength training-nausea?

Options
I've been searching the internet for answers but haven't been able to find much. I've been doing cardio for 3 months and it's going great. I push myself pretty hard and rarely feel sick afterwards. I desperately want to start strength training but I'm running into a problem. I get so incredibly ill. I tried the 30 day shred, barely made it through 10 minutes on level 1 and thought i was going to faint/puke/and then die. So I thought maybe i wasn't ready, waited a month, and tried the turbo jam sculpt dvd last night with 5 lb weight in each hand (the 2 lb weights seem too easy). Took me 30 minutes to get through the first 15 minutes from pausing it to catch my breath and let my heart rate slow down. I stopped when i got dizzy, blurred vision, was hanging over waiting to vomit, and shaking. I still feel sick this morning from last night. I ate dinner 2 hours before-chicken and rice and broccoli, drank lots of water before and during, and I definitely eat enough in general! Anyone else experience this or have advice? Am I just working too hard?I'm really upset about it-I want to be strong but I can't continue if it's going to be like this :(
Thanks!

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Why not look into a simple resistance training routine? There's plenty of resources available on the Internet to get started. If you need help, send me a message and I'll be more than happy to point you in the right direction further.
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Actually fairly common to feel a little sick when training. I still after 10 years feel like puking on heavy leg days....

Keep it lighter and watch your breathing....you made be inadvertantly holding your breath...I still do that!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you want to do 30 day shred just take it a little easier the first few times. You may find that you need to go through the programme twice. Once at a low intensity for all 30 days and then when you have finished, start from level 1 again and you may find you can do it. It sounds like you are doing just a little too much intensity at the moment but don't worry about it. Do as much as you can and then take a break or stop or do something more gentle for a bit. You will get there but it takes time. I'm doing level 3 at the moment and I feel like my head is going to explode when I do mountain climbers so I do the easy version. I'm doing the easy version of a lot of the exercises actually but I know it will be easier in a few days time and I am still getting great results.

The results of your workout are not going to be totally dependant on whether you can do the difficult versions or not. If you are finding the easy versions hard work, then you are working out just as hard as someone who is doing the difficult version because it is what is difficult for your body at the moment. Go by how you feel you when you are working out. If it feels like hardwork but achievable then it is a good workout regardless of whether you are doing the easy or hard version.

Oh, and the breathing thing is a very good point! I sometimes realize I'm not breathing and it really doesn't help if your not breathing, lol!

Good luck with it and don't give up!!!