MY calves hurt soooooooo bad.....

Options
I am on my 3rd week of working and dieting. My calves still hurt. I ran for 35 min. today at 6.6. I felt like I was going to die after. I could hardly walk!! What is going on? I traded shoes. I warmed up and stretched before I hit the treadmile....wtf?

Michelle

Replies

• Mattysmomma
    Options
    I am on my 3rd week of working and dieting. My calves still hurt. I ran for 35 min. today at 6.6. I felt like I was going to die after. I could hardly walk!! What is going on? I traded shoes. I warmed up and stretched before I hit the treadmile....wtf?

Michelle
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Did you stretch after running? For me if I don't that's when my calfs hurt. Hold your stretches for 20-30 seconds.
    Plus you are still getting use to it. I think 6.6 for a beginner is fast, especially for 35 min. I couldn't do that now. And I started running last summer. I'm a slow one for distance. Sprints I can do 6.5 or 7.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Mine get extremely tight if I run too. I have a few things I do to try to loosen them up. I stand with the balls of my feet on a step and let my heels hang off and really stretch my calves. I also lay on the floor and have my bf gently roll a rolling pin over them, but if he's not there I get down on my knees, roll up a towel, put it across the back of my knees, and then sit back on my feet. Hope you feel better! :flowerforyou:
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I was in really good shape before i had my daughter. I am in the army im use to doing that pace. I am not sure whats going on??? i did stretch after.
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I was in really good shape before i had my daughter. I am in the army im use to doing that pace. I am not sure whats going on??? i did stretch after.
  • Lhernandez705
    Options
    Hi, I'm a semi-experienced runner and I'm currently training for a Half Marathon. I have learned that there are two things that are extremely important when running. The first is your shoe. You should have running shoes and not just any running shoes, but some that provide enough support for the type of runner you are. For example, I am an overpronator which means I kick off the side of my foot and land on the other side of my foot (not straight ahead). I need shoes with "stability" and so I have purchased a good pair of Asic Kayanos that have this type of support.
    The second most important thing is to stretch AFTER you run, not before. You can stretch before if you feel like you need to, but you get a much better stretch when you are warm so sometimes stretching too much before a long run may cause injury. But always always always stretch after the run. If you are sore, whether in a muscle or if you get shin splints, you may want to ice it too.
    Finally, treadmills suck. I hate to be upfront about it, but I prefer concrete over treadmills. The machines work for some people, especially if you live in colder climates where running outside is not easy. But luckily I live in South Florida and after a bad case of bursitis in my hip 5 years ago, I swore off treadmills for life. Good luck and keep at it. Running is not easy. Otherwise, everyone would do it. But it does get easier with practice!!! :tongue:
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    Hi, I'm a semi-experienced runner and I'm currently training for a Half Marathon. I have learned that there are two things that are extremely important when running. The first is your shoe. You should have running shoes and not just any running shoes, but some that provide enough support for the type of runner you are. For example, I am an overpronator which means I kick off the side of my foot and land on the other side of my foot (not straight ahead). I need shoes with "stability" and so I have purchased a good pair of Asic Kayanos that have this type of support.
    The second most important thing is to stretch AFTER you run, not before. You can stretch before if you feel like you need to, but you get a much better stretch when you are warm so sometimes stretching too much before a long run may cause injury. But always always always stretch after the run. If you are sore, whether in a muscle or if you get shin splints, you may want to ice it too.
    Finally, treadmills suck. I hate to be upfront about it, but I prefer concrete over treadmills. The machines work for some people, especially if you live in colder climates where running outside is not easy. But luckily I live in South Florida and after a bad case of bursitis in my hip 5 years ago, I swore off treadmills for life. Good luck and keep at it. Running is not easy. Otherwise, everyone would do it. But it does get easier with practice!!! :tongue:

I agree treadmiles suck....but I like in wisconsin where it is neg 5 degrees today. I know I hate treadmiles too. I would love to do a half marthon, what are you doing to train? Do you have a guide?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said you probably need better shoes!

I also had pain when I first started walking/running - then I got what I THOUGHT was a good pair of running shoes (WRONG!!) I finally went to a place and had my feet fitted by an expert, spent what I thought was WAY too much money (99$ for shoes, 59$ for insoles) and the pain miraculously went away and my stamina during running miraculously increased!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Mine get extremely tight if I run too. I have a few things I do to try to loosen them up. I stand with the balls of my feet on a step and let my heels hang off and really stretch my calves. I also lay on the floor and have my bf gently roll a rolling pin over them, but if he's not there I get down on my knees, roll up a towel, put it across the back of my knees, and then sit back on my feet. Hope you feel better! :flowerforyou:

The step stretch is exactly what I was going to recommend. I have dealt w/ tight calves and achilles tendonitis, so I have to make sure to stretch my calves well. Letting your heels hang off the step will really help lengthen the muscle.

Make sure to stretch out after running or even take a break while running to stretch. HTH!

Jess
  • keiko
    Options
    I agree treadmiles suck....but I like in wisconsin where it is neg 5 degrees today. I know I hate treadmiles too. I would love to do a half marthon, what are you doing to train? Do you have a guide?

I'm in WI too! It's days like today that I love my treadmill. It's better than not getting to walk or run at all.

You said you're interested in a half marathon. Look up Team in Training. They raise money for cancer. I heard from someone else that they are a good organization that are alot of fun to train with.

Oh and Thanks for serving!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    We did these things in a class one day where you turn your feet out and then go up and down on your toes fast and then turn your feet in and do the same. We only did like a minute or a little more and I swear I had to walk 2 days on my tippy toes it hurt so bad!

Drink tons of water. Helps wash out the lactic acid released in exercise (or in massages). My old track coach used to tell us to drink water after a hard workout until we felt like drinking another cup would make us sick. It did usually work for making me not [very] sore the next day... (of course this in addition to proper cool down and stretching!)
  • Mattysmomma
    Options

I'm in WI too! It's days like today that I love my treadmill. It's better than not getting to walk or run at all.

You said you're interested in a half marathon. Look up Team in Training. They raise money for cancer. I heard from someone else that they are a good organization that are alot of fun to train with.

Oh and Thanks for serving!

Where in Wisconsin? I live in the northern part. Yup and no problem
    That sounds cool, the team in training.
  • keiko
    Options
    I'm an hour from Green Bay in Marinette. WIXX has been advertising the Team in Training.
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I'm an hour from Green Bay in Marinette. WIXX has been advertising the Team in Training.

Really?? We live near wausau!
  • keiko
    Options
    I drive through there when I visit my daughter in Eau Claire. Small world this MFP is!
    I use to always stop at County Fair Coffee till it closed. Now I go to Starbucks. Did that one close or stay open?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If the suggestions above don't work - see a podiatrist.

I had the exact same problem, and I saw my doctor and he said he was appalled I didn't have orthotics because I have insanely high arches. Arches are your shock absorbers, and without them you are landing way to hard on your feet when you run (compounded by the fact that we carry extra weight around anyway). It stresses the muscles in your legs and CAN make them swell to the point that they start pinching nerves. :frown:

Not saying this is the case, just something to be aware of. :flowerforyou:
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I drive through there when I visit my daughter in Eau Claire. Small world this MFP is!
    I use to always stop at County Fair Coffee till it closed. Now I go to Starbucks. Did that one close or stay open?

that one is still open. i do like that too. it is such a small world!!
  • keiko
    Options
    Smaller world, my DH is in the Reserves too. He is with a unit in Madison.