A little experiment

Options
Tomorrow we are taking the kids to the fair. We will go in the morning, stay until probably dusk. So that would be at around 10 hours, at least 2/3 of it just walking around. Wonder if I will burn many calories that way?

So I decided that I am going to wear my HRM all day today, doing my normal daily activities. Then wear it again tomorrow while at the fair. The difference between the two should be the calories burned while walking around out there, right? I didn't want to just wear it tomorrow and think I burned XXX number of calories when really we burn some just during the course of a regular day.

Not saying I'll necessarily log them (though I guess it depends on the outcome), but I am curious if it amounts to much.

Does this experiment make sense?

Replies

• armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It makes sense. You might get a few people who suggest to keep your heart rate up, but if the difference is you sitting on a couch versus being at a fair all day walking and on your feet, I don't see any harm with the experiment.
  • Texas501
    Options
    Yes, it does. But a more accurate way would be to wear it on several "regular days." Get the average of the "regular days", then compare it to the "fair day."
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Ah yes Tex, good point! I will try that.

Yes, I might get those comments, and that is ok. I know when I post in the forums I have to be willing to listen to ALL sides. My goal is not to use this as any substitute for a workout, just mostly to satisfy a curiosity about how much that walking around vs sitting at my desk all day makes a difference! Thanks!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Please post your results. I go often to Seaworld with my daughter and we do as a fun form of walking.(2 year pass). So I am very interested in what your results are. Enjoy the fair while you are at it! :glasses:
  • TammyBishop
    Options
    Last week I worked a job where I walked the whole time... wear ankle weights if you really want to feel a burn!! Either way... Have fun :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Last week I worked a job where I walked the whole time... wear ankle weights if you really want to feel a burn!! Either way... Have fun :)

Ankle weights!! I have those!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good experiment to try..If you are going to be walking for that long amt of time, I wouldn't be wearing any kind of weights. 10 hours is a LONG time. That and you don't wear ankle weights during your normal day, so it could throw off your experiment a bit.