Lacking definition - Please Help

Options
I have been at the fitness thing for several years and have really upped my game for the last 2 years. I eat right and work out Monday through Friday and ride a dirt bike on the weekend so I know that I am exercising enough, but I am really disappointed in the lack of definition in my arms. I definitely am muscular when I flex, but I am looking for more. For example, when I see a photo of Jillian Michaels, her arms are well defined. I get enough protein and I eat fruits and vegetables. My snacks are healthy and my desserts are Activia yogurt. I might have lactose free ice cream once per week. I have popcorn and pretzels if I feel like I need something "bad". I do drink soda, but this would be maybe 6 ounces per day. Other than that it is Arizona tea (rarely) or water.
For my arms, I work my biceps, triceps and the muscles below the shoulder (sorry, i don't know what those are called). I do bicep curls, tricep pushes, tricep dips, push ups, etc. I can't list all because I don't have the name of them. I use 8 pound weights and I also do kettle bell exercise with an 8 pound and 5 pound kettle bell. I use my weights when I do the leg work out - squats, calf raises, lunges.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday - I do arms, abs, legs and elliptical. Tuesday and Thursday - I do aerobics.
If any of you have any suggestions, I would be very appreciative. Heavier weights, less reps? Different eating plan? Sorry if I sound frustrated, but I am.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    are you eating at a deficit or surplus? to build muscle you generally have to be in a surplus except for a few special circumstances

and yes lift heavier weights, and focus on compound movements
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Heavier, the answer to "why am i not getting the results i want" is always lift heavier, and sometimes the answer is also eat more. 8 - 10 pounds in low reps for a fit and active person who's been at the weight lifting thing for a few years is sissy weights.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have heard good things about this book. I just got it from the library yesterday. I am looking to do the same as you and from what I understand, this book should really help with building muscle.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I would throw in one day a week where you lift some heavy HEAVY weight in your upper body area. For instance, when I work my bicep, I'll do a set of 12 curls with a 25lb bar. Then I'll do a set of 10 with a 30lb bar. Then a set of 8 with a 35lb bar and last, a set of 6 with a 35lb bar. And that day I may only focus on my biceps or I may do a bicep/tricep day. On my cardio days I work in some strength training that incorporates the cardio. 1 minute of bicep curls with a 10lb weight while I'm doing lunges. I would also up the weight of the kettlebell. I currently use a 25lb kettlebell and that's after not being in the gym for 3 months.
  • vanvea
    vanvea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Palates and Yoga, nothing will give that type of definition and beautiful long muscles like that. Although i wouldnt get as ripped as Madonna yuck lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One thing you also have to remember is every photo you've seen of Jillian was probably airbrushed and not true to life (and she's probably flexing for the camera, too).

She does have awesome arms, though.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said--you need to lift heavier weights and challenge your muscles.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    definitely up the weights its better for definition to do less reps but higher weight and keep your protein levels up using a higher weight will make the difference
    go up in 2lb and do each exercise to 10-15 reps - but not so you can do 16 and then do another set do all exercises to the weight you can do I often use different weights for different exercises
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. I am going out to buy heavier weights.
  • cinnakim
    Options
    The key is finding the right amount of weight so that you can only do 8-10 reps (you should feel the burn during the last 3 reps).
  • MThurs
    MThurs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for quite some time now (to say over 20 yrs makes me feel old) - often times women are afraid of bulking up and therefore lift to light and do too many reps.

Try taking your reps to 8-10 and lift enough weight that when you get to rep #8 you are SO thanful that 9 & 10 are it! You should notice some nice definition.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about what you need to do for exercise, but the KEY component to getting definition is your DIET. EVERYONE has a 6 pack. EVERYONE has triceps. They're just covered with fat. If you want to SEE them, you have to get rid of the layers of fat over them. Of course, making them bigger will help. But ultimately, if your body fat is too high, you won't see any definition, even if the muscles are huge.

I can't see your diet, so I don't know what you're eating. I would check out bodybuilding.com to get an idea of what women eat/how many cals/day/exercise routines, to see what it is that they are doing, to get the physiques they have. I can tell you for me personally, I keep my carbs down, eat lots of protein, and have a pretty clean diet. Also, my calorie base is higher than most women on here (apparently), and that is b/c I am trying to build muscle.

Good luck and hope that helps!
    Diana
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about what you need to do for exercise, but the KEY component to getting definition is your DIET. EVERYONE has a 6 pack. EVERYONE has triceps. They're just covered with fat. If you want to SEE them, you have to get rid of the layers of fat over them. Of course, making them bigger will help. But ultimately, if your body fat is too high, you won't see any definition, even if the muscles are huge.

I can't see your diet, so I don't know what you're eating. I would check out bodybuilding.com to get an idea of what women eat/how many cals/day/exercise routines, to see what it is that they are doing, to get the physiques they have. I can tell you for me personally, I keep my carbs down, eat lots of protein, and have a pretty clean diet. Also, my calorie base is higher than most women on here (apparently), and that is b/c I am trying to build muscle.

Good luck and hope that helps!
    Diana

^^^ This. Ive been increasing my calorie limits as well. I think mine were way way WAY too low. Also trying to get back on track with my eating.