Help! Eating out at a Chinese, what should order?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm eating out tonight at a Chinese Restaruant for a friends birthday tonight. Any suggestions on the 'healthier' menu choices would be greatly appreciated.
I have stayed extremely calorie cautious throughout the day to save some calories for tonight and also earned myself 400 extra calories through doing aerobic exercise, so in total I should have 950 calories spare for tonight's meal.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Janine xx

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    800 calories? egg drop soup, egg roll, steamed shrimp or chicken and veggies, brown rice if available. if you want a specific sauce, look up the calories, ask for it on the side, mix it in yourself.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Stick with the veggie dishes, like stir fry. Sodium won't be your friend tonight- Asian dishes are loaded with sodium (soy sauce). Just eat whatever in moderation when it comes to eating out and drink lots of water too!
  • pompeyqueen
    pompeyqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One tip is to go for boiled rice, and a chow mein is probably one of the best options or any grilled iems instead of fried.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the steamed chicken and veggies. Egg drop soup isn't too bad calorie wise, but sodium WHEW!!!
    I also like the curry chicken., not too sure how they make it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Or ask them to not use oil etc.
    Enjoy :)
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The one I go to has a healthier, although limited, diet food wih no oils etc. I order from that and order sauce on the side. Dip the fork in the sauce then in the food and stop before you are stuffed
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    just watch the egg drop soup because it's very high in sodium :( You can never go wrong with sushi :) Not a fan of raw fish myself so i chow down on yummy california rolls :) white rice isn't horrible for you. I would stick with steamed veggies. The menu should specify which meals are healthy :)
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Say away from General Tso's, Sesame chicken and Orange Chicken very high fats and carbs (from breading).
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Stick with Steamed Chicken/Beef/Shrimp with veggies, Order Brown Rice and Sauce on the SIDE!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    ask them to STEAM some chicken and brocolli with rice for you and get the sauce on the side. Steaming avoids stir fry and all the added oil they use to do so.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'd take it really easy on the rice, especially fried rice, since that is practically empty calories. It sounds like, as long as you manage your portions well, you can go with almost anything. Of course, the breaded/deep fried stuff is going to be more "costly" (the sweet-and-sour chicken, pork, etc, sesame chicken, and so forth). My favorites are beef with broccoli and cashew chicken - both have plenty of veggies and taste fabulous!

Good for you for planning ahead to compensate!!

(dang, now I want Chinese, lol)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the sodium is high, but drink lots of water and don't weigh for 2 days and you'll never even know it hit you.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Stick with Steamed Chicken/Beef/Shrimp with veggies, Order Brown Rice and Sauce on the SIDE!

haha ^5.
  • princessnancy420
    princessnancy420 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the place i go to has steamed shrimp with veggies and the brown sauce on the side. it comes with rice but i never even end up eating it since they give you so much.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Prawns/shrimp instead of pork or beef. Chicken is OK but I have that loads at home. So prawns are always a good call.

And yes the drier dishes - chicken stirfry, cashew nuts, lots of chinese veg. Nothing fried!

Good luck x
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    STAY AWAY FROM THE SWEET ORANGE CHICKEN!
    order vegetable lo mien or
    steamed rice and beef broccoli or
    egg soup and pork buns.

Those are under 500 cal per serving
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I stay away from rice and pasta, I usually get a vegetable egg roll and beef with broccoli :) see if the restaurant has any nutritional info online or see what the general nutrition info is for each dish.
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    Most places will have tofu. My favorite is tofu with a side of general's sauce with steamed rice and a spring roll. Pretty low in calories if you don't overdo it with the sauce and super yummy. :)