Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Kale Chips are awesome! Here's a recipe:

Ingredients
    1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions
    1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    2.With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    3.Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-kale-chips/detail.aspx
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love making my own pita chips...

Take a large whole wheat pita and cut it open so you have two flat rounds. Spray (the 'inside' sides) with a bit of cooking spray, sprinkle with whatever toppings you like (I like using garlic powder, and a sometimes a little chili pepper). Cut into bite size wedges. Bake until crunchy and golden brown - watch them carefully because they can burn easily.

They're great for dipping in salsa or any other dip. YUM!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are really good, try and get the ones with less or no salt, or tortilla chips and salsa.
    The best thing to bring though would be a salad or some fruit.

what are the nutritious qualities of a pretzel?

No one claimed they were nutritious-just fewer in calories and an alternative to potato chips. Look it up if you want to know. You have the internet.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I have one packet of McCoys every day, and account for the calories. They are probably the only crisp/chip that i consider worth the currency.
  • finchase
    Options
    reality: there is no good substitute for chips.

reality: there is nothing nutritious about a chip.

reality: chips are not made for a healthy lifestyle.

reality: if you want a healthy lifestyle, chips are a luxury item that should be consumed on rare occasions.

the hard truth stinks sometimes...but each of us has to decide for ourselves how badly we want to be fitter folks.....

by the way, I love chips and I will eat them if they are around me (esp cape cod kettle cooked chips). so, for me, chips are one of those things I just keep out of my house. out of sight, out of mind.

Me too! I don't crave chocolate and sweets half as much as I crave chips.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you have to have that crunchy chip feel ... try pork rinds. They are 0 carb. Also, Terra Exotic Vegatable Chips They do have carbs but are much healthier choice.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat pop chips. They have all sorts of flavors so you don't need to add a dip to them. I also like quaker mini rice cakes. Unsurprisingly, I like the cheese flavor of both.

In regards to what you can dip... The only lower calorie thing I can think of is veggies. Chips in general aren't good for you.
  • julie204
    Options
    you could try butter nut sqaush chips bake in oven just lightly spray wth oil and bake or a tortila wrap try find a low calorie one cut into 6 triangle spray with oil lighty and a bit of salt bake on oven tray till nearly crisp very good with chilli or dips hope this helps:smile:
  • Pockyjo
    Options
    Kale Chips are awesome! Here's a recipe:

Ingredients
    1 bunch kale
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions
    1.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
    2.With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
    3.Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-kale-chips/detail.aspx
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a multigrain pita cracker which is baked, not fried. They are a good "weaning" food that I've used to wean myself off of tortilla chips ...

So, what's wrong with just eating the food you are eating without something with it? Just enjoy the chili or the sandwich, all by itself. :happy:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Not so much with chips for dipping, but the absolute best chip alternative in terms of similarity is Special K Baked Cracker Chips! They have sea salt or sour cream & onion flavors. I eat the sea salt cracker chips all the time, they really taste a lot like Lay's Original chips but instead of 15 Lays for 160 calories, I get 30 Cracker Chips for 120 calories and less fat as well. And they aren't as thin as Lays, so 30 of them are really filling.