Terrified!!!

Options
So... I am losing weight, and incorporating strength training to tone but noticed this morning that my upper stomach is sagging... I don't want lose skin!!! Please someone tell me this tightens up! I've carried a lot of weight in my stomach, thighs, upper arms and hips for a long time. Once I reach my goal weight will all of that go back to normal??

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It will shrink some.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    It does tighten up but sometimes it takes time. How quickly have you lost those 11 pounds? It is possible to lose inches faster than your skin can recover. Regardless, I wouldn't panic at this point, it will all come back to shape so just be patient, make sure you're doing your weight training and you'll be fine.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    as part of your exercise, are you doing any core work? if not, add some planks to your routine. That will help strengthen your core. Another thing you can do...pretty much anywhere...is an ab vacuum. just like the name sounds, sound in your gut and hold for 10-15 seconds. repeat that for 10 times 3x per day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    So... I am losing weight, and incorporating strength training to tone but noticed this morning that my upper stomach is sagging... I don't want lose skin!!! Please someone tell me this tightens up! I've carried a lot of weight in my stomach, thighs, upper arms and hips for a long time. Once I reach my goal weight will all of that go back to normal??
    This is one reason not to lose weight very quickly. Your skin should recover, depending on how much you lose, your age and genetics does play a part. I've heard it can take a year or two for it to completely firm back up once your reach your goal weight, but I think that depends on how quickly you lost it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    suck in your gut and hold for 10-15 seconds.

How about for roughly 8 hours a day, for 22 years, which is what I've been doing? :P
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Every person is different with regards to this...some folks can lose a tremendous amount of weight and firm up beautifully while others can lose a much smaller amount of weight, but end up with baggy skin that won't go away without surgical removal.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As some previous posters wrote, it will depend on age, how much you have to lose, genetics, and how quickly you lost the weight. I have older friends who will always have that "apron" and "batwings". No amount of exercise will make skin "shrink in" either, but it will strengthen and define the muscles and perhaps show underneath the skin. You look young in the pic so I'm guessing you do not have to worry so much.

I know a group of ladies who have lost over 100 lbs, and have kept it off for some time, and who have loose skin. Not a single blessed one says they would rather have the fat back so their skin wouldn't be loose.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    I've lost almost 80 pounds, and I have loose skin. It's going to happen. Especially if you have carried your weight for a long time. There is a chance that it won't go back to the way it was. But I decided I can't let that stop me from losing weight.
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    suck in your gut and hold for 10-15 seconds.

How about for roughly 8 hours a day, for 22 years, which is what I've been doing? :P

LOL!! Me too for at least 13!

I wont let the fear keep me from losing weight... Hopefully I my skin will rebound OK. My legs and arms seems to be doing a little shrinking. It's only been 5 weeks, maybe not time to worry yet but OH ooo OH do I pray it's not going to be like my momma always said... "You better quit doing that or it'll get stuck that way." She was talking about crossing my eyes but it applies..!