Runners - Santa needs GPS watch recommendations...please!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Anedwell
    Options
    I have the Polar RS300X - LOVE IT! They use these exclusivelly at Lifetime Fitness. I haven't had any battery issues. I did get mine on Amazon and got better pricing there than in the stores.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Which one you should get depends on what activities you do. I swim, bike and run so I have my eyes on the new 910XT to replace my 310XT. But if you only run or only bike or only swim, they have cheaper ones that do only those activities.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Also if you buy from REI they have a great return policy. I think the 310 still may have the mail in $50 rebate as well...
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The 305 would be a good starter watch and prices are very reasonable. I got the 205 and quickly outgrew it. I now have the 310XT since im training for a Tri.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    We just picked up the Garmin 410 today as an xtra Christmas present for me.... 209.00 @ Costco (60 instant rebate) including the heart rate monitor strap.

Not sure how it is yet... hopefully not too complicated!
  • anilyze
    Options
    This might be more watch than you want or need, but I oicked up the Garmin Forerunner 610 last week and I LOOOOOOOOVE it. It's so helpful! I was using a Polar before just to track HR and calories. It's so nice to get distance, speed, hr, cadence, and pace at the same time in the same place. It all uploads to Garmin Connect automatically and I can compare run to run and see improvements, what I need to work on still, effort I'm putting in, etc.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I bought a second hand Garmin 405 forerunner for less than £50 on ebay last week and I love it xx
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a Garmin 305! And I love it! It has a heart rate monitor, accurate calories, distance, pace, gps, etc. Amazon seemed to have the best prices.

Calories on the Garmin Forerunner series (including the 305) are based on weight and avg pace maintained, NOT on heart rate.
    To confirm, leave it on in your car while driving and see your incredible burn rate. Very impressive, and totally inaccurate.

But, you can take your avg HR from the 305 to a site that uses a Polar Formula and weight, age, sex, VO2max, AHR, and get a good calculation of calories.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a Garmin 305! And I love it! It has a heart rate monitor, accurate calories, distance, pace, gps, etc. Amazon seemed to have the best prices.

Calories on the Garmin Forerunner series (including the 305) are based on weight and avg pace maintained, NOT on heart rate.
    To confirm, leave it on in your car while driving and see your incredible burn rate. Very impressive, and totally inaccurate.

But, you can take your avg HR from the 305 to a site that uses a Polar Formula and weight, age, sex, VO2max, AHR, and get a good calculation of calories.

The forerunner 410 I just bought says calories based on HR . I think the ones ending in 10 are HR based therefore more accurate than the 05s - which is why I got the 410. I was looking @ the 210 but this sale price beat the lowest price I could find online for the 210 and it has more stuff - which I probably don't need but the price was right and now I can probably track when hiking, backpacking, etc and not just running/walking if I can figure it out!
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used the 305 for two years, great watch, never had any complaints. I think you definitely get the most features for the lowest price with the 305. It is bulky though and sometimes can take a while to pick up satellites (I would put it outside before starting my run so I didn't have to wait). I recently upgraded to the 610 which is a pretty amazing watch but certainly more expensive. However, I'm currently running over 30 miles a week and that will be increasing to over 40 in the next few months, so in my view, given how much I use it, it is worth the extra money.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305 and my wife has the 405. Like some have said, the 305 is easier to use but a bit more bulky...the 405 has more features and is a little more sleek.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I recieved the Garmin 405CX last Christmas after much research and LOVE it. But I'm sure you could get along with a much simpler model. Now I know the distances of each of my regular routes, I still wear it, but don't really need it. Always great for race days though!
  • BeccaMovinUp
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405 cx that I've been using for a year. I'm not completely impressed with it. I would be in the middle of a run and it would completely spaz out and constantly turn itself on and off. If you do decide to go with this watch be sure to lock the bezel when using it, accidently pressing buttons with your wrist while running is common.