Strength training question

Options
I saw my personal trainer Monday morning and my arms are STILL SORE today! I also did some lower body strength training two days ago so I'm hobbling around sore all over.

So I have a question about minimizing this soreness. Obviously when I meet with my trainer she is going to kick my butt every time, but what can I do to minimize the muscle soreness after I work out? I try to stretch really well, but I'm usually sore for a couple days after any strength training I do since I try to push myself.

I want to try to increase the number of times I strength train a week, but when I know I have something big coming up (like a work meeting) I don't want to be hobbling around all sore and feeling like I just got beat up.

Would I see any benefits to doing lower weights and more reps to try to avoid soreness on some days? Is there any way to help minimize muscle soreness and still get a great workout?

I've just recently started strength training so any advice would be great!

Replies

• Ebbsies
    Options
    Take an BCAA supplement before your workout and follow up with fast digesting proteins afterwards, like eggs, whey isolates, fish, dairy, also having epsom salt baths on workout days and relaxing works wonders for some people. They will get better over time and DOMs are my one true gauge that I've made some real changes to my muscles after working out, but lowering the weight and increasing reps won't do much, in any regard in my opinion. But discuss it with your personal trainer, sometimes when I'm really sore I'll take a tylenol (not often) just to take the edge off and it is okay in moderation to do so.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    best way to get rid of the soreness is keep the activity up, once you get use to it the soreness becomes less, or not at all.
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    I'm no expert, but have more muscle soreness from working muscles/strenth training muscles that I haven't been working out before or when I haven't worked out in a while. Over time, the soreness should lessen as you continue to strength train. Do be careful not to push yourself too hard and end up with an injury.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I saw my personal trainer Monday morning and my arms are STILL SORE today! I also did some lower body strength training two days ago so I'm hobbling around sore all over.

So I have a question about minimizing this soreness. Obviously when I meet with my trainer she is going to kick my butt every time, but what can I do to minimize the muscle soreness after I work out? I try to stretch really well, but I'm usually sore for a couple days after any strength training I do since I try to push myself.

I want to try to increase the number of times I strength train a week, but when I know I have something big coming up (like a work meeting) I don't want to be hobbling around all sore and feeling like I just got beat up.

Would I see any benefits to doing lower weights and more reps to try to avoid soreness on some days? Is there any way to help minimize muscle soreness and still get a great workout?

I've just recently started strength training so any advice would be great!

Anytime you add a new stimulus to your training your muscles will get sore, there's no getting around that. I take recovery supplements out the *kitten* and eat well and I still am sore when I do something new. Reducing weight and adding reps will only make you weak, keep the weight moderately heavy to heavy. One thing you can do is take a cold bath or shower after you lift, as cold as you can handle or even go as far as icing depending on your tolerance level. If you keep doing the same routines your body will adjust and the soreness will go away and you'll continue to build strength. You'll see the soreness go away soon and then eventually you'll be able to start increasing the weight you use.
  • danstvguy
    Options
    My guess is that you're pushing it too hard if you're hobbling around. Fitness requires persistance but the quickest way to end any program is to get hurt or so sore that you stop working out. Discuss your "Day After" with your trainer. I would think he/she would make suggest some adjustments.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Get enough protein, get enough carbs, and get enough sleep. The protein helps repair the muscles, the carbs help your body not use the protein you just ate for muscle repair as fuel, and the sleep is when most of the repairs take place.

Also if you're ok with supplements BCAAs do a great job helping with recovery time. You can find em in 0 calorie pill form, online or most health food stores.

IMO - the soreness goes away when you've stopped working hard enough. Not sore the next day it's time to add weight, although it does get slightly better than it is the first couple of times you work out.
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1.PROPER NUTRITION

2. Proper Recovery (as a general rule of thumb allow 48-72hrs of rest between muscle groups for FULL recovery. It is ok to work muscle groups if they're still sore after 48hrs). It is also imperative you sleep, for me 6-9 hours per night seems to work well.
    a). I found that for me, stretching between sets (static) and using full range of motion (dynamic) allows me to maintain and increase (in some instances) my flexibility. I also do yoga 1-2x's per week.

3. Proper Supplementation (not neccessary but helpful)
    Creatine, BCAA, EAA, HMB, ZMA,

4. Education (never stop asking questions/researching/progressing towards your fitness goals). Also be skeptical of any 'fitness facts'. Consider them, experiment, and find what works for you.

Best of luck!

P.S. I love being sore :)
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful information and advice! I'm going to keep a closer eye on my protein intake and I'll look into the supplements too. Otherwise I'll just keep on keepin' on and stop being a baby about the soreness :)