Drinking fruit juice in place of real fruit.

Options
I was just wondering if i have the extra calories, sugar and carbs and cannot eat a real peice of fruit can i drink a bottle of orange, apple, or grape juice and it be ok? Is drinking my fruit every day OK?:drinker:

Replies

• sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think that eating actual fruit is better than drinking it. Fruit usually has fiber in it which is important for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. A lot of fruit juices has extra sugar in it and just a host of other additives that are not really neccessary.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Yes it is fine to drink your fruit. Real fruit is better because you have fiber in real fruit which slows down how fast the sugar dumps into your blood and the fibar makes the fruit stay with you longer because the fruit has to be broken down and digested.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think that eating actual fruit is better than drinking it. Fruit usually has fiber in it which is important for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. A lot of fruit juices has extra sugar in it and just a host of other addictives that are not really neccessary.

AGREED!!! I avoid fruit juices. It is not the same.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    A glass of juice isn't equivalent to one piece of fruit--it's more like 5-10 depending on the juice. Keep that in mind when looking at the size of juice container. Some of them are ridiculously huge and also include added sugars.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice = crappy sugar
    Unless you can get your hands on some unsweetened stuff
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    In addition, an 8 oz. glass of orange juice has about 5x the sugar of an orange. Eat the fruit-- you won't regret it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you have the extra calories, it should be fine, but you need to make sure it's 100% juice, no added sugars. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to eat the whole fruit but still be able to drink the juice; it can't be allergies. The whole fruit is definitely preferred so I wouldn't make drinking juice a regular habit, especially if you're finding yourself hungry during the day.
  • MyBeautyIsSkinDeep
    Options
    I think that eating actual fruit is better than drinking it. Fruit usually has fiber in it which is important for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. A lot of fruit juices has extra sugar in it and just a host of other additives that are not really neccessary.
    I will agree with this eating your fruit is MUCH BETTER!!!!!:bigsmile:
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You are better off not having it at all. It will do nothing but spike your blood sugar.
  • kdgray1
    Options
    Have you tried smoothies? Frozen or fresh fruit and you can use fruit juice to sweeten it. :) Good luck!
  • jmseeman
    Options
    sheisbrown is right...real fruit is better, and most fruit juices add stuff you don't need, and leave out many of the good things that real fruit has. But if you don't have fruit, and want to drink juice, and you've got the calories to give, you can drink juice. OJ probably comes the closest to the real thing. It doesn't have added sugar, colors or anything else.
  • jamielyn1369
    jamielyn1369 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. It's not the same. You miss out on the fiber. That being said, I love to juice. I have my own juicer and use it regularly. One 8 oz glass ends up having 8-10 fruits/veggies. I miss the fiber, but there is no added sugar and I get alot of vitamins/nutrients from it. I wouldn't get juice from the store though because they almost always add sugar and preservatives. Use your head though. An occasional juice isn't going to be detrimental to your lifestyle choice. And don't let ANYONE make you feel bad about doing it. I have noticed that some people on this website think that their way is the only way and will criticize and get downright nasty about YOUR choices. I have deleted those "friends", but I still notice it on posts. Just keep your calories down, your head up and keep on making good choices. If you deny yourself something, it will end up biting you in the butt eventually and you will overindulge. Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories you can eat or drink whatever you want. Real fruit juice is better than a lot of things, although you lose the fiber and nutrients in the skin of the fruit. So eat fruit over fruit juice, but choose fruit juice over pop.
  • stephiejones
    Options
    Thanks everyone, makes me think and i would rather eat it but sometimes i just don't have any lol...great to hear everyone's opinion....Thanks for the advice guys! :happy:
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What about getting all the nutrients and vitamins from fruits with a chocolate taste, I love chocolate.
    I don't eat all the fruits and veggies I'm supposed to, but I get all the nutrients and vitamines every morning with a taste of chocolate
    I drink Shakeology (Chocolate flavor)
    It is the healthiest meal of the day, and it has 70+ ingredients.
    You can get tons of nutrients and vitamines in one glass.
    message me if you want more information. Is super good :)