A nice, 1-person lentil soup recipe

Options
MzFury
MzFury Posts: 283 Member
This is an off-the-cuff from-scratch recipe which can be made in this small quantity or of course multiplied for more servings. You may change up the variables if you are lacking an ingredient.

1/4 cup dry lentils (green/brown - regular lentils - you may also use some yellow, red or other quick-cooking dahl lentils in this mix - if using harder lentils or puy/French lentils, you'll need to add more cooking time)
2 Tbsp dried faro grain (or barley), or 1/4 cup cooked faro or barley, or 2 Tbsp tabouleh/bulgur wheat, or replace grain with another 1/4 cup lentils
1.5 cups low sodium chicken stock - I use organic boxed stock - homemade would be ideal of course
cooking spray
Spices to taste
1/4 cup chopped onion (diced)
1/4 cup chopped carrot (small dice)
1/4 cup chopped parsnip (small dice)
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 cup kale (or other cruciferous leafy green, like chard or mustard greens), chopped

In a small pot saute onion, carrot and parsnip in cooking spray over medium-high heat until onions become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute, stirring.

Add rinsed lentils, uncooked faro or barley, and stock to pan and stir.
Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Add Berbere, curry or other non-salt spice to taste if desired. Cover and stir periodically.
**Cook 40 minutes or until faro is cooked through.

**If using cooked grain, cook 20 - 30 minutes until lentils are soft and add grain. Simmer 5 minutes longer.

Add chopped kale to pot and stir, simmering 5 - 10 minutes or until kale is wilted in.

This is meant to be served with about 60 calories worth of whole-grain crackers and about 100 calories/1 oz of cheese (such as cheddar). I melt cheese onto soup.

Nutritional tally (cals carbs fat protein fiber sodium):

Total: 285 54 4 17 16 352
Per Serving: 285 54 4 17 16 352

Replies

• Kiedrat
    Options
    Thanks, I have lentils but needed a healthier way to prepare the dish. :smile:
  • cacraft
    Options
    Sounds great! I'll try it this weekend.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yum. Thanks for sharing. I never thought to put parsnips in with my lentils. I am going to try this, but substitute veggie stock for the chicken so it is Vegetarian friendly! :flowerforyou: