HELP-- Don't know what to order!! (Greek)

Options
Hey all!! I'm going out to a Greek restaurant with a campus organization tonight, and I am trying to figure out what to order. To drink, obviously water, but as far as the food... I'm not sure. The issue is that this is a local chain, so no nutritional info is available... I will have about 450 calories to play with.

I'm thinking some kind of salad with grilled chicken, or the salmon... but I'm not sure... AH! How do I know what's in the food?

What would you reccomend?? (Money is not an issue, it's paid for with the club's funds-- yes!!)

(If someone is especially bored, feel free to look at the menu! lol! ---> http://www.acropolistaverna.com/menu.html )

Replies

• princessthecat22
    princessthecat22 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Play with the food track and guess whats in the food. you can always ask for a dish without something.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Greek salad with grilled chicken. No pita, about 2tbls of hummus. Dressing on the side, dip you fork in it
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed grape leaves. Yum!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Chicken kabob isnt too horrible or the Siro Salmon
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Greek salad with grilled chicken. No pita, about 2tbls of hummus. Dressing on the side, dip you fork in it

Yep, my thoughts too... I'm pretty much out of carbs, but short on protein! I just am not sure what to enter in the food diary... I'm not the best at estimating how much food is on a plate :/
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what NOT to order --- baklava :) My alltime favorite dessert!

There are tons of things on that menu that would be fine...
    Shish kabob
    mixed grill (dont eat the fries or order veggies in place)
    meatballs
    red grilled snapper
    shrimp cyprus
    salmon

PS Salad is often one of the WORST choices you can make... go look at the calories in those sometimes.
    If you go salad, plan on getting no dressing (or on the side) and dipping into it.

Basically,aything that isn't fried in dough or covered in cream sauce..
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Shrimp Cyprus would be my best guess. Remember sauces tend to be big culprits.

I would be in so much trouble there. We have a few good greek places here and you may have just started a craving for me :)
  • donbet69
    Options
    Be careful with the Greek salad. It appears awesome but the olives and feta cheese will bring your calorie intake up high quick. Also avoid the pita's you will get on the side. Salad with grilled chicken and vinagrette dressing on the side will be your best bet.
  • Splinkysgirl2
    Options
    I had that situation recently. I decided to look at the menu and see what items were listed in the description of the meal I wanted. Then I pulled up each item separately on MFP (guestimating how many ounces or cups each item would be) and entered that in. So, for example, I went to a Thai restaurant. The description had shrimp, cellophane noodles, mushrooms, napa cabbage, etc. I guessed the shrimp would be about 3 oz, the cellophane noodles would be about 1 cup, etc. And that's how I did it. Now, of course, it may be off by some calories, but I figured one day not being perfect won't hurt.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Salmon or Mahi, but have them hold the cheese.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Good luck with getting away with only 450 cals. That sounds like just a greek appetizer. My suggestion. Add an addtional hour to your exercise routine and have a little fun. Try the saganaki, it's fried goat cheese covered withh brandy and set on fire. If not, go for whatever grilled chicken they are offering.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Tabouleh and hummus or baba ghanoush w pita bread. That's my usual.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had a greek salad last night we were in out. I found one and it was 430 calories--I used it.
  • daylewinslow
    Options
    we just ate greek last night - the 6 oz grouper stuffed with spinach/olives/herbs plus 1 cup rice pilaf - we shared the meal - along with sharing a small greek salad - even after counting the balsamic dressing - i think you'd be under 400 cals if you share it - or take home half to have next day! just saying....
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Good luck with getting away with only 450 cals. That sounds like just a greek appetizer. My suggestion. Add an addtional hour to your exercise routine and have a little fun. Try the saganaki, it's fried goat cheese covered withh brandy and set on fire. If not, go for whatever grilled chicken they are offering.

Well unfortunately, this is one of my days that I can't really exercise, which is part of the problem-- lol! Going straight from work, to class, to the restaurant. But I appreciate everyone's input!

If it seems like a lot I'll just take half home... My husband will be happy to share :)
  • shele75
    Options
    Half order of greek salad with dressing on the side?