One month challenge. No fast food.

Options
Everyone knows Halloween is coming up fast. Whether you want to just tone up or lose more weight (or start losing) I want to give you an October challenge with food. This would be most helpful for those who are trying to stop buying fast food or have trouble staying away from fast food (like I do).

I am going to stay away from fast food for the month of October (and longer if I can do this successfully).

Here's some suggestions on how to get started and accomplish this challenge:
If you normally go out to lunch you could start bringing your own lunch. If you binge on fast food then you can start snacking on healthy food (not over doing it depending on the snack). Maybe you go out with friends on weekends...you could stop eating fast food or maybe go to a restaurant where you know they care about how your food is made and choose an option that is not fried. Etc. etc. You get the point.

The main thing is you CAN stay away. You can control (at least for this month) what you put into your mouth. There are no special requirements. Just do it. If you need support we can add each other as friends but the goal is to keep the garbage out of your system and see how it effects your health. Whether you lose weight or feel more energetic...there's no reason for you not to try it out. THIS challenge is ONLY for a month to kick off your new lifestyle.

Can you do it?

Replies

• aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The only fast food I eat is Chic-fil-A and always get their grilled chicken sandwich on wheat and a side salad. But I will give you one little tid bit. When your body gets used to not eating fast food anymore, and you try to eat it again, it will make you very sick. So, hopefully, it will be a permanent decision for you :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You know I'm in already :happy:
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm scared! This is probably the hardest challenge I will ever be a part of, but count me in! I NEED this challenge now...

No FAST Food for October! Got it! I need to put notes everywhere...
  • vees89
    Options
    I'm totally taking this challenge! Good luck to you!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    once you stay away from fast food for a while, I think you'll find that its not as savory. I haven't had too much fast food since starting this journey at the end of January (I'm not even sure if I've had fast food 5 times since then). anyway, I got an egg mcmuffin from crapdonalds over the weekend (I had family in town and they suggested crapdonalds for breakfast). Anyway, while I was eating it, I remember thinking "man, this really isn't even that good"....and I know I used to love them.

with a little bit of advanced planning, there are a ton of things you can cook for yourself that are healthier...and probably taste better.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I can and I did ... no fast food for over 2 years now. You can do it, be strong and just remember how much healthier you will be without all the extra grease, salt and fat! That is what got me through the hardest part of breaking that habit :)
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    my family and i did this just to save money. at the end of the month we went to enjoy our mcdonalds!! we all were sick to our stomach and miserable. we no longer eat fast food!! it was a great lesson
  • kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am in! I use eating out as an excuse alot... mostly for being too lazy to make something at home, or the typical *there's nothing to eat here* not to mention how much more money you spend if you eat out. In the past 6 months I have literally cut the amount of eating out in half.. I used to eat out lunch daily if not dinner too. Now it might be 1 or 2 times a week. It's true though after you havent had it for a while it makes it harder to want to go back because it will upset your stomach, (which really isn't a bad thing). So I will not eat fast food for the next 30 days!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am totally up for this challenge! I do not eat too much fast food as it is, but if I am in a crunch I tend to veer towards them. It is all about planning. Anyways, what a family pays for one night at Taco Johns (or wherever) could buy a whole of the good-for-you food. Anyone needs support with this, just friend me :flowerforyou:
  • linbee83
    Options
    Hey, this is perfect! I'm sooo addicted! I stopped eating it for a few months, and didn't crave it anymore. This is perfect to keep me focused. I'm going to expand and include candy! (Lol, October is sooo the perfect month for that!)
  • youngmum
    Options
    Count me in, this is gonna be hard
  • I'm in!! We can all do this together.
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well. If anybody else is interested, I'm also going to make an attempt at reducing my processed food intake as well. Unprocessed October Challenge: http://www.eatingrules.com/2011/09/october-unprocessed-2011/
  • Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My hubby and I keep saying we need to stop eating out to save money so now is the perfect time to start!
  • Charbaby48
    Options
    I'm in, it's going to be a real challenge because I go out almost everyday for lunch!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You will see the changes when you stop eating fast food. Enjoy your one month (hopefully much much longer) healthy eating!
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    I'd love to join! Is there something we have to do to join the challenge???
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    YES, YES, YES I CAN!!!!!!!!!!

I will be having foot surgery on October 11 and will be bedridden for 2 weeks following. I'm trying to stock up on pantry items and pre-cook some casseroles, chili, soup, lasagna, etc. so my husband doesn't rely solely on fast food and pizza to sustain me. I will especially be focusing on protein and not on carbs since I won't be able to burn off the added energy.

I AM IN!!!! NO FAST FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    For those of you who are in this: there's nothing special you need to do! Just be yourself and try to stay away from the fast food chains! If you need lots of support you can add me and others on here! :)

Good luck ya'll!

Note: I will be putting up another post in the middle of October and at the end of October so we can all talk about how we did/weight loss/ changes/emotions.
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So, I decided to have one last fast food stop this morning before this challenge begins. I stopped at BK and now my gut hurts. This is going to be a good thing to give up! One question...is Subway considered fast food?