new motivated member!

Hello Everyone! After reading many of the posts, this site seems very supportive and helpful with guiding the way towards reaching our weight-loss goals. I'm a new member as of 5 days ago and new to dieting. I've had a couple knee surgeries in the last 4 years and have spent the last two years being very serious about physical fitness and knee rehab. I excerised frequently but ate what I wanted, and sometimes this ended up in too many desserts.....over time, I have managed to put on about 20 pounds too much. I'm 5'2" 150. Five months ago, I quit smoking, knowing that I would probably gain weight and I did, about 5-8 lbs. So now I'm 32 and have realized that I can no longer eat what I want, especially when the overweight gene seems to run in my family! I feel great after having quit smoking and am eager and ready to conquer this last big challenge in my lifestyle change. Even in just the last 5 days of counting calories, I have already realized how badly I needed to pay more attention to what I eat. Reading nutrition labels and actually seeing the fat grams or comparing calories among brands has been a real eye-opener. QUESTION: As I start to lose pounds how can i distinguish between pounds actually lost and those daily flucuations? For example, I weighed in at 152 the morning I started my diet and this morning weighed 149. Now, I weigh myself every morning and often see a 1-2lb change over the course of the week. So is the best way to take that average or something of the sort? Anyway, I'm excited to be a part of this community!:smile:

Replies

• Hello Everyone! After reading many of the posts, this site seems very supportive and helpful with guiding the way towards reaching our weight-loss goals. I'm a new member as of 5 days ago and new to dieting. I've had a couple knee surgeries in the last 4 years and have spent the last two years being very serious about physical fitness and knee rehab. I excerised frequently but ate what I wanted, and sometimes this ended up in too many desserts.....over time, I have managed to put on about 20 pounds too much. I'm 5'2" 150. Five months ago, I quit smoking, knowing that I would probably gain weight and I did, about 5-8 lbs. So now I'm 32 and have realized that I can no longer eat what I want, especially when the overweight gene seems to run in my family! I feel great after having quit smoking and am eager and ready to conquer this last big challenge in my lifestyle change. Even in just the last 5 days of counting calories, I have already realized how badly I needed to pay more attention to what I eat. Reading nutrition labels and actually seeing the fat grams or comparing calories among brands has been a real eye-opener. QUESTION: As I start to lose pounds how can i distinguish between pounds actually lost and those daily flucuations? For example, I weighed in at 152 the morning I started my diet and this morning weighed 149. Now, I weigh myself every morning and often see a 1-2lb change over the course of the week. So is the best way to take that average or something of the sort? Anyway, I'm excited to be a part of this community!:smile:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    First of all welcome and congratulations on quitting smoking, that's a tough one! You will pass this last hurdle as well and we are all here to support you.

About the scale...:grumble: ..I struggled with that too and found if I weigh myself once a week on the same day at the same time it's a more true reflection of my weightloss. My scale had been to bounce by 7 pounds! Best to let how you feel, how your clothes fit, etc. be how you measure your success than the number on that old scale anyway because isn't that what really matters?

Best of luck and we'll see you around! :flowerforyou:
  • Power
    Power Posts: 27 Member
    Weigh once a week! The daily thing will drive you batty!

And welcome! :tongue:
  • Colly
    Colly Posts: 17
    Welcome, stay movitated and take it ond day at a time! :flowerforyou:

I don't like the scale. I weigh once a week!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Also depending on if you are working out or not and what your doing you could gain muscle which would cause your weight to stay the same or even go up... so don't get discouraged, I agree with sticking to see how your clothes fit, GOOD LUCK!

~Leash :happy:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Welcome to MFP! And I commend you for quiting smoking! That is awesome! You can do this and MFP will really help you out a lot! Good luck on your weight loss journey!