Lunged 1/10 of a Mile

Options
So I got a new workout partner. He actually approached me after I did some jumpsquats and push ups with side planks and said he really liked my exercises (deja vu lol) and wanted to know if I wanted a partner. He was doing plyometrics too, and my bf was out of commission, so I figured, why not?

This guy is a trainer, so together we know a TON of exercises to do. Each workout we come prepared with new ideas for exercises. So tonight I decided we should lunge all the way around the indoor track because he did it a couple times last week. Well, about 1/4 of the way around I was ready to give up. I shouted up to him (he had passed me haha)," Let's rest once we get to the 1/4 mark!" And he said "I'm gonna keep going!" And I, not wanting to be shown up, also kept going...and going...and didn't stop at all! I think we did around 100 lunges without resting. Of course, my legs were burning intensely, but that didn't stop us from doing two 1 minute wall sits and weighted bridges! Woohoo! (This was all after the squats, front squats, single leg squats, and stiff legged deads...oh and the 100 calf raises, doing 10 on each step all the way up the steps LOL).

I never used to like having a workout partner, but when you get the right one, it is AWESOME!!!! I have been sore all week hahah. Plus it's sort of like having a PT, but FREE, because I train him back!:bigsmile:

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    So I got a new workout partner. He actually approached me after I did some jumpsquats and push ups with side planks and said he really liked my exercises (deja vu lol) and wanted to know if I wanted a partner. He was doing plyometrics too, and my bf was out of commission, so I figured, why not?

This guy is a trainer, so together we know a TON of exercises to do. Each workout we come prepared with new ideas for exercises. So tonight I decided we should lunge all the way around the indoor track because he did it a couple times last week. Well, about 1/4 of the way around I was ready to give up. I shouted up to him (he had passed me haha)," Let's rest once we get to the 1/4 mark!" And he said "I'm gonna keep going!" And I, not wanting to be shown up, also kept going...and going...and didn't stop at all! I think we did around 100 lunges without resting. Of course, my legs were burning intensely, but that didn't stop us from doing two 1 minute wall sits and weighted bridges! Woohoo! (This was all after the squats, front squats, single leg squats, and stiff legged deads...oh and the 100 calf raises, doing 10 on each step all the way up the steps LOL).

I never used to like having a workout partner, but when you get the right one, it is AWESOME!!!! I have been sore all week hahah. Plus it's sort of like having a PT, but FREE, because I train him back!:bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    SBS that is awesome! I HATE lunges and refuse to do them! I am now challenging myself to do the slim in 6 because he loves the lunges and squats. We shall see!!

cant wait to see pix of your diesel legs!!

you go girl:drinker: :drinker:
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am SO jealous!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I am SO jealous!

LOL jealous of the workout partner or the lunges? You can have the lunges! :laugh:

AWTY, I also hate lunges! With a fiery passion! But this guy is really intense and in really good shape, so I don't want to be the squishy-looking random chick following him around LOL. I do really like squats though...I have no idea why one and not the other, I'm just weird. :tongue: I'm gonna have him really force me to push myself this hard on upper body days too...more pull ups and push ups. Joy!
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OMG! :noway: I am WAY impressed. I SO hate lunges. You rock! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thank you! I'm sure my legs won't be happy with me tomorrow! :laugh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I LOVE lunges...but that's a TON of them.
    It must be nice having a workout partner that really pushes you. Mine usually hold me back...:grumble: :grumble:

But congrats!! Keep us posted on the other killer exercises you do!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    That's awesome! I LOVE lunges...but that's a TON of them.
    It must be nice having a workout partner that really pushes you. Mine usually hold me back...:grumble: :grumble:

But congrats!! Keep us posted on the other killer exercises you do!!

Yea, it's hard to find a good one. I've only had one other that pushed me this hard, but over break he's about 45 minutes away so we can't really work out together. Plus this past semester we had pretty opposite schedules unfortunately, which sucked because he's also like my best friend! I do go with my bf but I usually write the workouts for him, and since he's taken a long time off it's not good for him to do the same things as I do. So finding someone a bit ahead of my level is great.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    awesome...you are an animal......I just started doing lunges for the first time...I couldnt believe how hard they are...way to go...do you suggest I continue to do free lunges or add dumbells?

thanks
    Dave
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    awesome...you are an animal......I just started doing lunges for the first time...I couldnt believe how hard they are...way to go...do you suggest I continue to do free lunges or add dumbells?

thanks
    Dave

Haha thanks :blushing:

I think it depends on your goals. I am building endurance, so really high-rep work with little/no weight is fine for that. But if you want more strength, it's better to add weight and keep the reps a little lower. You just have to stay specific to your goals. :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

thanks
    Dave

Haha thanks :blushing:

I think it depends on your goals. I am building endurance, so really high-rep work with little/no weight is fine for that. But if you want more strength, it's better to add weight and keep the reps a little lower. You just have to stay specific to your goals. :smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I love walking lunges!! I do them after most of my outdoor runs. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy lunging up & down the road, but they work great! :laugh: Sounds like fun w/ your new workout buddy!

Jess
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    that's great:smile: I don't think I could walk after that:laugh: