Ideas for pregnancy exercies

Options
I just found out that I am pregnant and need some idea about what kind of exercises I can do that are safe. Only thing I have been doing is walking and well its getting old.
Thanks

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I took a water aerobics class at our YMCA and did that all the way to the week I was due
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com has a specialty section. Several pregnancy videos are available - you could get some ideas from the video clips

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/pregnancy-exercise-videos-41
  • slbeutler
    Options
    It would depend on what you have been doing all along. Get a heart rate monitor, so you can monitor your heart rate as you don't want it to get above a certain level while you are pregnant. I am a group fitness instructor and taught all my classes up until 2 weeks prior to delivery. My doctor said as long is it is not something new, it is okay. I taught kickboxing, cycling and step. The only exercises I couldn't do were walking lunges due to the relaxing of the muscles down there and there is a greater risk of injury. Also after the first trimester, you should not lie on your back for any exercises.

Check with your doctor first, but you should be able to do more than walking. There are some great videos out there as well for pregnancy and exercising.
  • doober922
    doober922 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You could look to see if there is a pregnancy yoga class at your local gym or community center. Swimming is also really good for you while pregnant. Just looking cute and/or finding a suit as your tummy grows is another issue :) Good luck!!
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    SWIMMING!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I ran 5k's until I was 32 weeks pregnant. I also started kettlebell's when I was about 7 months pregnant. I stepped my bench back to about 100lbs but I lifted, did squats, ran, and even did pilates and yoga. I quit when I was 35 weeks and baby peanut was born at 37 weeks.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything is safe as long as you've been doing it all along. My sister takes body pump classes up to a day or so before she delivers. Now is NOT the time to START a difficult program, but if you've been doing it, by all means keep going.
  • mkupartist
    mkupartist Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of uphill walking and it torches calories just as much as running if you get high enough. I usually do an 8.0 incline. The elliptical has been friendly to me also. My doc always told me just walk walk walk but I feel your sentiment about it getting old :(

Do you get outside to walk? Maybe take paths in different neighborhoods?

What about a latin dance video you can do at home?
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I did yoga, and walked!