Itchy?

Options
My belly has been soooo itchy this week. I don't know why. I know that when you gain weight fast (pregnancy), the skin stretches, which makes it itchy. But I'm not gaining, I'm losing at a rate of about 2 pounds per week. The itchy seems to be centered around my navel. No signs of skin irritation, except from scratching. I take a shower after every workout, so it's not sweat related. No new lotions or sprays. I can't puzzle it out.
Any idea if it could be fitness/food related? I've never heard of itchiness being a side effect of weight loss, but there a many things I haven't heard.

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have dry skin without the flakes showing yet do you put lotion on?
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My skin started itching when I did not include fat in my diet. I added a little fat and my skin was not so dry and quit itching.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Do you take a q-tip and dry inside your belly button? The reason I ask this is when my son had a similar problem after a long while he developed a small red rash around the outside of his bellybutton. The Dr. explained that it was a fungal infection that was inside his button and spread to the outer area. So some cream treated it, but the Dr. told us to make sure we dry his button with a q-tip seeing how apperently his is deep enough for moisture to get in there and stay.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is scabies?
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is scabies?

I think that just made alot of us itchy lol.:ohwell:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    No scabies! A bit paranoid it's shingles (I have a history), but no bumps yet, so trying to dismiss that as a possibility.
    I'll try doing an alcohol swab after my shower for a few days, I hadn't thought of that. Used to be my belly button was gaping, but as I've lost weight it's turning into a winking eye lols. Hoping that gets better as I go down more...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is scabies?

haha don't scare her! it could just be from sweating...your body releases histamines when you sweat...put some baby powder on it and make sure it stays dry and take an anti-histamine
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is scabies?

Sweet hell, I laughed as I picked up the phone at work.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It could be lots of stuff unfortunately. It could be a food reaction. It could be that a product that you've been using regularly has been reformulated and you just don't know it. Also, it could be a thyroid issue or a side effect of diabetes (if you're diabetic). I would say see your doctor in case it's thyroid related. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I know how awful it is to be itchy. It's something I struggle with on and off!
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You need to rub that stuff in like lotion! If you just let it sit it gets dry and itchy!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    You need to rub that stuff in like lotion! If you just let it sit it gets dry and itchy!

*snicker*