Calorie count for Jillian's 6W6P?

Options
I did Jillian Michaels' 6 Week Six-Pack two weeks ago--just half of the video, before she starts the routine over from the beginning--and could barely walk for two days after. I just did the first half again today. I really have no idea how many calories I burned. I did the beginner version of every exercise, so I probably didn't burn very many calories.

I've seen people recommend putting in Jillian's DVDs as circuit training. I tried that and got what I'm sure is way more calories than I actually burned. For 15 minutes, it estimated that I burned 138 calories. Since it said I only burned 241 calories keeping up a moderate pace on my exercise bike, I doubt I burned 138 calories in 15 minutes with mostly floor exercises. So instead I just logged it as 5 minutes of circuit training, or 41 calories.

I know people will want to suggest a heart rate monitor, but I can't afford a decent one and I don't trust cheap ones.

Anyway, it's better to underestimate my calorie burn than overestimate it, right?

Replies

• laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I just started it today. Don't forget that with her videos, you're using all of your muscles at the same time rather than just isolating one. It's a killer burn. For me, I find circuit training an accuarte comparison.
    Have you thought of purchasing a heart rate monitor?

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mp11988
    Options
    I always underestimate regardless of the exercise if I have to guess my calories burned. I do not change my calorie intake when for when I exercise 98% of the time, so to me it does not really matter. Personally, I add up the amount of time a week I spent working out rather than calories burned most of the time. It is about dedication and motivation after all.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My rule is always underestimate the calories burned and over estimate the calories eaten. So sometimes i just cut my time in half or something .... really just to show I did get off my butt on that particular day. If I eat something say like chili at someone's house and don't know exactly what is in it then I find the highest calorie one in MFP and put that down.
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    im 5'8 and 65kg and i use a Polar HRM, i burn approx 240 cals for the whole 1st level of the workout but that is excluding the warmdown because i switch to another dvd then. Hope that helps.
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I did it today for the 1st time, 34 minutes including warm up and cool down i burned 252 cals in 34 mins
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM..and it logs about 250-300 calories for me..even though its mat work and only 35 minutes or so..
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I would stick with logging it as circuit training for 15 minutes. I do the workout and burn over 300 every time, of course I am heavier than you and I push for the more advance moves. But 138 calories for half sounds very reasonable to me :)
  • trekkiebeth
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll log it as 10 minutes instead of 5 since you guys say it burns more calories than I thought.