Ki Fit or Bodybugg as its called in the U.S.A

Options
Ok whats your views on the Ki Fit or Bodybugg as its called in the U.S.A...

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My view is that with MFP and a HRM you can eliminate a monthly payment for the body bugg.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    A KiFit can give an accurate calorie burn when you're doing everyday actions, which an HRM can't - a HRM can only accurately calculate your calorie burn during cardio exercises.

If you don't want to know your calorie burn outside of exercising, then you don't need a KiFit...
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Different schools of thought here.

I had a RMR test done, which showed my specific BMR, which is more accurate than any HRM, equation or Body Bugg. I did find that the equations, especially the Katch McArdle method were very accurate in estimating BMR with and without daily activity. I may be slightly ignorant here but a HRM measures Heart rate. If you're cleaning or doing anything that is causing an elevated heart rate, it's going to increase the rate you burn calories. I say this because if I take my BMR (from RMR test) and divide by 24, I get approximately the same number if I wear my HRM for one hour doing whatever I do in a day outside of exercise.

I've never used a body bugg but I don't think it's doing anything magical. A tool just like a HRM and a little bit of math.
  • Gpoitras, I would be interested to know where you had your RMR test done. I have also had an RMR test done and it was no more accurate than my Ki Fit. Considering you've never used a Bodybugg or a Ki Fit are you really in a position to give advice to other people about it. If you look at their site you can see that it is not like a HRM as it has multiple sensors collecting something like 5000 data points a minute.

Marianne_s, you're totally right about knowing calorie burn throughout the day, have you got a KiFit? I find my data when I'm not exercising the most valuable part which, if you think about it, makes sense as there's 23 hrs when im not exercising and only 1 when I am. I would say though that the calorie burn given by HRMs during exercise is not very accurate at all. Because they just use an equation of HR they massively overestimate calorie burn.

Oswald, I have a KiFit and I'm hooked. The accuracy and amount of data it gives you helps you manage calories in and out so easily. Can I ask what your goal is?
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Different schools of thought here.

I had a RMR test done, which showed my specific BMR, which is more accurate than any HRM, equation or Body Bugg. I did find that the equations, especially the Katch McArdle method were very accurate in estimating BMR with and without daily activity. I may be slightly ignorant here but a HRM measures Heart rate. If you're cleaning or doing anything that is causing an elevated heart rate, it's going to increase the rate you burn calories. I say this because if I take my BMR (from RMR test) and divide by 24, I get approximately the same number if I wear my HRM for one hour doing whatever I do in a day outside of exercise.

I've never used a body bugg but I don't think it's doing anything magical. A tool just like a HRM and a little bit of math.

An HRM does measure heart rate.... but during an hour or 2 of cleaning your heart rate will not constantly be elevated which is why HRMs are not accurate - because the algorithms used to calculate your calorie burn don't take into account when your heart rate isn't elevated.
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Gpoitras, I would be interested to know where you had your RMR test done. I have also had an RMR test done and it was no more accurate than my Ki Fit. Considering you've never used a Bodybugg or a Ki Fit are you really in a position to give advice to other people about it. If you look at their site you can see that it is not like a HRM as it has multiple sensors collecting something like 5000 data points a minute.

Marianne_s, you're totally right about knowing calorie burn throughout the day, have you got a KiFit? I find my data when I'm not exercising the most valuable part which, if you think about it, makes sense as there's 23 hrs when im not exercising and only 1 when I am. I would say though that the calorie burn given by HRMs during exercise is not very accurate at all. Because they just use an equation of HR they massively overestimate calorie burn.

Oswald, I have a KiFit and I'm hooked. The accuracy and amount of data it gives you helps you manage calories in and out so easily. Can I ask what your goal is?

Yes, I have a KiFit... I've had it since March.... and the best thing about it is that it has verified for me what is said about strength training vs cardio training. The after burn effect and having more muscle means that you burn more calories at 'rest' (not exercising). Also, I now hit my target daily calorie burn at 7/8pm instead of 11pm, as it was back in March - this means I am burning more calories in a day.

Would I have known these things without a KiFit? No... I would've only guessed that these things were happening.

So, for me the KiFit is a useful tool...
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Gpoitras, I would be interested to know where you had your RMR test done. I have also had an RMR test done and it was no more accurate than my Ki Fit. Considering you've never used a Bodybugg or a Ki Fit are you really in a position to give advice to other people about it. If you look at their site you can see that it is not like a HRM as it has multiple sensors collecting something like 5000 data points a minute.

Thanks, I after reading some of the answers here have managed to get one from ebay very cheap, boxed never used with the display unit...I will have of course to subscribe....but I really am taking my weight loss course serious and feel that any thing that will motivate me will be an advantage as I need to lose over 100 lbs
  • ZoayZoay
    ZoayZoay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just bumping to reply. I have had a ki fit for about 3 weeks now. It is very interesting. The downside is that I burn more calories than I expected, so it has been an excuse to eat more!

Allegedly I have burnt just over 3000kcal a day on average for the last fortnight. (So why isn't getting thin easy?!)

Anyhow, good fun gadget, cheeky that you have to pay forever to use it, imo.