Gamers...Need a Litle Help

Options
LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
I would like to get my kids a gaming system for Christmas this year...The Wii is relatively cheap & comes with a lot of stuff ($135 @ Target w/ a controler, a steering wheel & Mario Kart). The PS3 has the Blu-Ray capabilties; but doesn't come with squat.

I need some input...what would you all recommend and why?

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    And apparently I need some help with spelling...*Little
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,

How old are the kids because the appropriateness and enjoyment for the age level really varies within video games?

:)
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    PS3 is definitly greater value, the blue-ray player, plus the built in harddrive for storing media and the network sharing capabilities make it very versatile not only for games but entertainment in general, there is also internet TV and social networking built in...

its not what it "comes with" but what it does that adds the value, Sony actually LOOSE money on every PS3 they sell becaues they cost more in raw-materials to build than they make selling them.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How old are the kidlets? The Wii has games that are better suited to younger players, at least in my experience (I have a Wii, PS2, and various other gaming systems)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the age of the kids, and are they boys or girls?
  • cschnepf
    Options
    How old are they? Wii games are geared toward younger kids compared to PS3 and Xbox. Although now that Xbox Kinect has launched, there are a lot of family friendly titles that can also help keep you active.

As far as price and/or getting a good deal on whatever system you choose. I use 2 sites for price comparisons.

http://slickdeals.net/
    and
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com

The second one requires an account to view their forums, but it's free.
  • catclws
    Options
    The Wii is the way to go.. When all my kids and grand-kids lived with me, we would have Wii nights. I miss that :cry:
    I like the fitness Wii the best!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    Munchkins will be 10 (daughter) & 7 (son) in November...they each have a DS right now; so they are familiar with a lot of the Nintendo games. Their dad has a PS3 with the motion controllers; so they've been exposed to that too (like bowling, ping pong & stuff).
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    what age group we have the three major consoles in the house wii ps3 and xbox ( lol husband works in IT enough said) and my boys aged 7 and 3 both play the wii the most it has more games and games that are more fun for that age group however if they are in their teenage years they would probably prefer the ps3 more in depth games better graphics and the ability to watch blue rays etc and better online gameplay

hope that helped :)
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Xbox with Kinect give you the game nights like Wii..except better.
    I have a Wii and after Mario wears off it now just sits in the closet..no one wants to play it anymore.
    Now the Xbox with Kinect..that is awesome..and you actually have to move your body with it, not just the controller or on the pad.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm the father of 2 serious gamers one of whom is now a video game programmer. Guess I can't complain about all the time he spent gaming!

At any rate, I think the Wi is great, especially for younger kids. If your kids are approaching their teens, the xbox might be a better choice. It has more games to choose from and the new kinect controller is amazing. It's a lot pricier but you won't have them getting bored and asking for another system right away.

My wife and I even use the Biggest Loser for kinect game - the workouts are pretty intense.

I'm not that impressed with the PS3 - it's a great system on paper but does not seem to have near the games the other systems do.
  • lotusblossomctf
    Options
    Personally I LOVE my wii. We use it all the time...although usually to stream netflix these days. But i would agree that it definitely depends on the age of the gamers. for young children, I recommend the wii, it has more age appropriate games, and is more durable and able to take more abuse (like if it falls of the entertainment center or something). The Wii also can be a better option for multi player gaming too. The new super mario bros is LOTS of fun with multiplayer. And there are also a lot of other wii games that are meant to be played in more of a party or group setting.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    Xbox with Kinect give you the game nights like Wii..except better.
    I have a Wii and after Mario wears off it now just sits in the closet..no one wants to play it anymore.
    Now the Xbox with Kinect..that is awesome..and you actually have to move your body with it, not just the controller or on the pad.

Do you have to subscribe to Xbox Live for a lot of their stuff?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    wii games are a LOT cheaper that playstation ones, and generally aimed at family entertainment.

I don't own a playstation 3, so can't comment, but I love my xbox 360. if i was buying a console for kids, i'd defiantly pick a wii...and as you say, if you look around, you can get super cheap bundles for it. also, it's worth bearing in mind a playstation 3 or an xbox 2360 need a high definition TV set to get a decent quality picture.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    wii games are a LOT cheaper that playstation ones, and generally aimed at family entertainment.

I don't own a playstation 3, so can't comment, but I love my xbox 360. if i was buying a console for kids, i'd defiantly pick a wii...and as you say, if you look around, you can get super cheap bundles for it. also, it's worth bearing in mind a playstation 3 or an xbox 2360 need a high definition TV set to get a decent quality picture.

I have a 1080p TV...and really the system would be used for family entertainment & possible NetFlix. A lot of people I know keep pointing away from the Wii b/c the technology is going away...
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I would say go with the wii, but as soon as your kids, mainly your son, turns about 10-11, they are going to hate it. The 360 has fun interactive games like the kinect, but when they get older they can get into more 'gamer' type games
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    we have the three major consoles in the house wii ps3 and xbox ( lol husband works in IT enough said)

That's awesome. Mine does too, that's why we have a computer in the kitchen, a modified xbox that works as a fully functioning media server networked to the server arrays in the basement. I can play mario anywhere I want! He keeps bugging me about the PS3, so maybe christmas time, but he'll have to choose between that and more server racks.
    Pretty neat to have husbands in IT, in my opinion.

Sorry, off topic. Back on topic, I vote Wii for kids. More family games. Seems like the other consoles are better suited for adult/teenage gamers.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

I have a 1080p TV...and really the system would be used for family entertainment & possible NetFlix. A lot of people I know keep pointing away from the Wii b/c the technology is going away...

ps3..........i have them all but, if i had to have one this is the one i would get, no additional costs for the online services like with xbox, and HD, unlike wii
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've owned every video game system since Colecovision. My vote is PS3, hands down the top system in the current generation. A new Nintendo game console will be coming out next year, so the Wii is just about done. The 360 never impressed me much either time I owned one, and paying for Live is a disadvantage. My PS3 gets a ton of use, games, blu-ray movies, Netflix, streaming movies off of my computer, it's extremely versatile and powerful.