How do you control your portion sizes at dinner?

Options

Replies

• skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh everything when I'm at home. If we're out, I try to look at the menu online to get an idea of portion sizes before I go. At some point, I'll be able to eyeball it but for now.....measure and weight.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I measure/weigh all of my food and pre-plan my meals so I have an idea about how many calories each serving is. I tend to put 1/2 of what I want to eat on my plate. If I am still hungry I go back for what feels like seconds, but is actually only half of my original portion. If I don't want seconds, then I win!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I drink water before...and it makes me even hungrier!

I just put the stuff on the tray/in the pan etc, till it looks about right! :)

Then i overestimate the calories in it.

There be method in teh madness! :laugh:

I set my daily goal lower than I should knowing full well I'm likely to go over it by a certain percentage.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    BADLY!
  • horizonflight
    Options
    I measure everything I eat. Until I can eyeball what the correct portions are that's what I have to do.

*I did find this to help with estimating though

43971810_i8HtoptU_c.jpg

Definitely find this helpful. Bump because I need this reference. Thanks!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

I set my daily goal lower than I should knowing full well I'm likely to go over it by a certain percentage.

Exactly! I don't log any of my 10-12 cups of tea a day. Sometimes ill drink it all, other times half, other times a few mouthfuls. It's skimmed milk and sweeteners, so it's barely anything, but i leave myself a few hundred calorie margin to cover anything i may have underestimated/forgotten!

People say I'm already obsessing over things, so if i actually got scales/measuring device, they'd have me committed! :drinker:
  • catclws
    Options
    I purchased a food scale on Amazon ($15). I use my measuring cup and a smaller plate when my husbands home for dinner and I have to cook for him, When he goes to work and is gone for 2 weeks I eat Lean Cuisine meals. :drinker:
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm a weigher... but I'd totally advocate medium sized plate with 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 carbs, 1/2 non-starchy veg (protein and carbs not stacked higher than about your the depth of hand (maybe 1.5cm or half an inch-ish).
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I also use smaller plates and utensils, like others have suggested. I like to use pretty Japanese dishes.

But what helps me the most to control my portion size at dinner is to portion my food throughout the day with 3 small meals and 3 small high-protein snacks. I never go more than 3 hours without having some sort of snack or small meal. So I'm not so famished by dinner time that I lose control.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure EVERYTHING before it goes on my plate. I often use a smaller plate so it looks like I have more food. I also plan my meals out the night before for the whole next day. I get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing that I've gotten through another meal with healthy choices. It's one meal at a time. LOL
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Drinking water before seems to stretch your stomach out, but the water doesn't have any calories to be processed so it doesn't stay in your stomach very long. Which kind of makes me wonder if it may be a better idea to have a low calorie soup or broth before a meal...

I overestimate calories too, I always round them up and even count diet drinks as 5 calories per serving. I think it's a good way of balancing out any overestimations with exercise calories.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's a nice chart. Thanks!
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ditto, on measuring everything, I also have a WW scale and I've been using that also. If that doesn't work at first you may want to try Lean Cuisine, or the likes.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I am not ravenous by having a small snack about an hour before dinner. I also use measuring cups. I am used to being on the go, so I have a hard time eating slowly and mindfully, although I am working on it.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    These suggestions are awesome, thanks!!!! And bump!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    food scale, measuring cup and measuring spoons, wouldnt make a meal without them :D
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling... I have good intentions, but I tend to end up taking too much and feeling stuffed and disappointed with my calorie intake. I know I should measure and weigh at every meal, and most times I do, but I often end up feeling like that takes the joy out of eating. So I'm wondering, how do you deal with portion sizes?

I use a smaller plate and plan dinner before I even cook it, and only take what I plan on. If you're still eating just for the joy of eating you need to work on your mentality. Changing your lifestyle is difficult, it takes dedication, it takes desire, it means that (especially in the beginning) you have to find joy in something else until you can redefine your joy.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I only cook what I'm planning on eating. Or, if I'm cooking for my hubby and I, I cook enough for two servings. Saves both of us from the temptation.
  • magnumgirl
    magnumgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates for sure, and a big glass of water before supper and I won't go back for seconds. And I like to take leftovers for lunch the next day. I already make lunches for kids, so I love not having to make mine first thingin the morning.
  • timeforme23
    Options
    measuring cups and a food scale