Menstruation and Weight Loss

Options
Ok,

So, first of all. I take birth control- so I know when 'my monthly' is going to happen. And the week before, I ate. Or at least, I -felt- ravenous, and tried to keep it curbed ( I succumbed like twice to the temptation of a poptart.. or three.. ) Anyhow.
My weigh in's are thursdays- and I apparently actually maintained my goal of weightloss.

I was confussled. Because A)I hardly worked out and B) I was defiantly pushing my calories to max or close to (IE: Just barely under). If anything I was a complete slacker and laid in bed going "OH GOD WHY" most of the week.

Is there any research out there (IE: I googled and failed) about how a woman's menstruation cycle can effect (physically and mentally) weight loss/gain?

Replies

• CatieCupcake2
    Options
    I know this much, typically you burn more calories during the week before you get your period. I typically use that week to binge, as I know its okay because when I do get my period I'm not hungry. at all. :) I hope this helps a little.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I know this much, typically you burn more calories during the week before you get your period. I typically use that week to binge, as I know its okay because when I do get my period I'm not hungry. at all. :) I hope this helps a little.

Did you just say it's ok to binge?
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm just so.. baffled. Debating to harass my biology professor now to see if they have any scientific fact.. or find a nutritionist..
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me the week before. I don't gain during the week of either. But, I usually maintain.
  • CatieCupcake2
    Options
    I said for me its okay to binge... probably not the best, but I do it. Hey im not perfect thats why im on this site to fully understand things. :)
  • mmelledge
    Options
    I'm always heavier right before/during my period. Blame all that retained water. Several sources I've looked at recommend drinking extra water during this time to help lower retention. I also read that magnesium levels tend to drop during PMS times, leading to lower insulin levels and sugar cravings. That I have not verified yet, though.
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is probably one of those things that affects everyone differently. I don't notice myself getting noticeably hungrier before my period starts, except for the whole if you want to talk to me bring me chocolate first issue.

However, if you have access to PubMed journals this may be an interesting article :http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10840654
    The menstrual psychosis mentioned in the side bar does not sound pleasant.

When I was running regularly 2 years ago I always noticed that even if I felt like hell and didn't want to do it, if I ran on the second day of my period my endurance was always better, so it was then that I would add distance. I always thought it was the strangest thing.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options

When I was running regularly 2 years ago I always noticed that even if I felt like hell and didn't want to do it, if I ran on the second day of my period my endurance was always better, so it was then that I would add distance. I always thought it was the strangest thing.

That is fascinating! I want to test it on myself!