Fallen Off The Wagon, Not Sure How To Get Back Up

Options
I feel like half of this has been pointless. I dropped 20+lbs last year without even trying and after seeing my body now is what made me want to keep going and make an effort. Since then I've stayed exactly the same weight despite eating healthy and working out for the first time in my life almost all this month. But now I haven't been to the gym in a week and I feel like I eat healthy, but then I go and eat a huge bowl of pasta or some sub from subway or another food place and feel awful about myself. I just don't understand how when I try really hard, the weight doesn't budge but last year I wasn't even paying attention to what I was eating and never worked out at all. It's just really discouraging. gahh. sorry for being such a debby downer here but I just don't know how to re-motivate myself when I feel like I won't even see results.

Replies

• JMoss411
    JMoss411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you could be gaining muscle mass, sometimes the scales lie =D try using measuring tape. Its very helpful =D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jess-Is-Losing-weight/266892923323730 < here is some motivation =D
    you can do it girl!
  • ChrisWag
    Options
    Maybe you just need to change it up, do a new workout, try switching up the diet...Maybe you did so well last year cuz you weren't "thinking about it" and now it is all you focus on....sometimes it is harder to achieve what you want when it is all you are focused on. Your body creates memory too, which is where the "change it up" idea comes in.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up about bad eating....1 bad day followed by 3 good days and it all evens back out. It is called maintaining :)
  • nmaltz3
    Options
    Dear Nicole,

I know how you feel, plateaus are definitely frustrating. Here are some common reasons that people plateau:

1. water retention. Drink lots of water and pay attention to the sodium content in the foods you eat. Anything over 10% is high. If you are consuming a high sodium or high fiber food make sure to drink one to two cups of water after. This way your body wont hold on to water weight

2. not eating enough. Eat every 2.5-3 hours. Mini-meals should consist of about 300 cals. On this note...make sure you eat breakfast

3. evaluate what you mean when you say "eat healthy". Are you having one candy here, a handful of cereal there? If so, that could be contributing to extra calorie consumption.

hope this helps

Natalie
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been through the same thing. When I really try to focus and work out and have a set plan I end up gaining weight but when I don't think about it the weight comes off faster. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and since I've been trying to lose weight again this year I've gained 12 lbs while going to the gym 3-4 days a week and trying to count calories. And it's not muscle for me its just belly fat. I need the same advice anyone can offer because I am very frustrated.
  • ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, consistency is the key. A lot of people put on weight during the first month of exercise - and it's all muscle. Other comments about using measuring tape instead are spot on. Your weight might not move but your measurements will, because muscle is a lot more dense than fat.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to change it up, do a new workout, try switching up the diet...Maybe you did so well last year cuz you weren't "thinking about it" and now it is all you focus on....sometimes it is harder to achieve what you want when it is all you are focused on. Your body creates memory too, which is where the "change it up" idea comes in.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up about bad eating....1 bad day followed by 3 good days and it all evens back out. It is called maintaining :)

Yes, sometimes we do need to confuse the body once in awhile..I constantly change up what I eat and my workout regime..daily for my food intake..lol, cause I also like to eat different everyday..haha, but for my workout..I change up as the body does create a memory and will want to keep the weight from moving...and weekly for my workouts.. Hope this helps:wink:
  • NoDairy
    Options
    My high weight was the same as yours... U gotta change ur attitude not think bout it too much and keep going, eat that sub or watever and just move on... Pick up sone good books, i love learning bout real health and fitness and not just diets.

Ive fallen back and in after reaching my ultimate goal, it happens but u just gotta start fresh and do different things, make up some challenges for urself...

Good luck