Hey Folks

Options
Hey Folks, just checking in to say hello. I'm John, I'm 40 years old, and I'm looking to get myself back into shape to join the fire/rescue department in my county. I've got about 59 pounds to lose on my journey. Actually 48 pounds, because I had a really good first week. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I look forward to talking and sharing with the community here. Good luck everybody. We can do it!!!

--BlindSkwurl

Replies

• BlindSkwurl
    Options
    Hey Folks, just checking in to say hello. I'm John, I'm 40 years old, and I'm looking to get myself back into shape to join the fire/rescue department in my county. I've got about 59 pounds to lose on my journey. Actually 48 pounds, because I had a really good first week. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I look forward to talking and sharing with the community here. Good luck everybody. We can do it!!!

--BlindSkwurl
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow...you had a REALLY good first week!!! Amazing...what's your secret?
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No kidding...what is the secret?
  • BlindSkwurl
    Options
    Well, it really isn't a secret. It was more of a motivation. My girlfriend and I made a friendly wager that banked on our weight loss. Her goal is to lose 20 pounds, mine is to lose 30 pounds (since men lose quicker apparently) and whomever reaches their goal first wins a sizeable amount of money. Then we'll set a new goal. Now, ideally, I would like for both of us to hit our first goal on the same weigh in so that we can just put the money aside for a nice dinner or a nice trip somewhere together, but we'll see.

But seriously, we both sat down and decided what amount of calories we were going to consume in a day, and formulated an exercise plan to go along with it, and we just stuck with it. My girlfriend lost 7.6 pounds the first week. So, it looks like we are moving in the right direction.

I can honestly say that keeping track of the foods that you eat everyday plays a major part in how you eat throughout the day. My girlfriend and I refuse to call this a diet, we have dubbed it simply healthy living, and have decided that this will be our new way of eating. And you really don't have to starve yourself, you just have to choose the right foods to eat and eat them in moderation. But that doesn't mean that you can't occassionally have that piece of chocolate cake. Just don't eat the whole thing.

Folks, we can all do this!!! It's just a matter of changing old habits. I quit smoking 7 months ago, and have never looked back. Now it's time to change the way I eat. I want to be around to see my children grow up.

Whew!! Sorry for that long post. Nice to meet you folks. Good luck to everybody. Feel free to contact me anytime.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Welcome!:drinker:

Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    WOW you 2 keep up the good work....Thats awesome that you both want to get into shape..Wish my bf would get on board with this..lolGood luck to you both on your weight loss journey...:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • BlindSkwurl
    Options
    Thanks Amy!!!:bigsmile:
  • BlindSkwurl
    Options
    Thanks Lenece and good luck to you too!!!:smokin:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey Blind Skwurl! Welcome:smile: We are in similar boats - 'cept I quit smoking about a year and a half ago. My husband and I are both on this journey to healthier living and also refuse to call this a diet - just learning to live healthy. You're right - logging the food is a huge eye opener! Congrats to you and your girlfriend - you're off to a great start - and heck yeah! We can totally do this!!!:drinker:
    lulu