How to keep motivated to go to the gym at 5:30 am

Options
I am wondering what helps keep people motivated to go to the gym in the morning? I have been waking up at 5:15am and going to the gym at 5:30am for the past month in a half pretty regularly, but it is still super hard sometimes! When I told my mom I had been waking up that early, she was so surprised--I am definitely not a morning person!

Fortunately, I live about 1/2 mile from the gym, have a fantastic gym buddy that keeps me motivated, and am able to go to classes that start at 5:45 (Spinning M,W,F, and bodypump T,Th. It has been getting easier to wake up that early, but getting out of a nice warm bed when it's still dark outside to go to the gym is difficult.

What helps keep you motivated to go to the gym, especially first thing in the morning???

Replies

• bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    At first I thought you meant pm.... I honestly can't think of anything that would get me motivated to get up at 515 to go to the gym :) Good for you though!
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    discipline. full stop. that's it. i used to do crew and we had to get up every day at 4am 6 days a week. i got used to waking up at that hour but i am sure there was never a time i felt like getting out of bed :) good for you! keep it up!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I used to do it... and the only advice I can give you is don't stop!!

It's been about a month since I got up and every morning I wimp out....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Meet a friend there. It's easier to let yourself down than a friend.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 to drive 30 minutes to the gym (which is two blocks from my work) I know I am going to fell so much better after I get my workout in! But it's hard! My bed is so warm my husband is so cuddly it' hard to get out of bed. Good luck to you!
  • laz22girl
    Options
    Discipline and the commitment I made to myself to work out.

I go to spin on tues and thurs at 5:30am, I hate it. But it's done by 6:30. I do other stuff on Monday and friday--Friday I'm up at 5, and mondays are at 6:30.

Evening exercise is too unpredictable. Morning exercise gives me limited times to come up with excuses.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I feel soooo much better on the days I get up and work out. When I'm laying there at 5:30 am, I remind myself that there has never, not once yet, been a time that I haven't felt great after my morning workout. It sets the tone for my whole day. Oh, and COFFEE!! Lol. Gots to have my coffee.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just force myself somehow to get up and go to the gym on the days that I am not doing P90X or Insanity at home. Once I am there I am good it's just getting there :)
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Because the alternative sucks, royal, seriously. If you didn't when would you find the time...
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have been waking up at 5:15am and going to the gym at 5:30am for the past month in a half pretty regularly, but it is still super hard sometimes!

I've been doing the 5:30 a.m. schedule for a while now because I have kids and went back to work FT last year, and I knew it was the only time I'd have to get out and do it with no excuses. And I STILL find it hard to get out of bed that early -- especially when it's dark out. BUT, the only thing that keeps me going is progress, progress, progress. I've seen the results, and I feel so much better when I do. Better emotionally, and better physically.

So now you should just call yourself a morning person!
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    My gym is 1/2 a mile away too. I go at 6:30. I like that time because there are not as many ppl there. I make some REALLY ugly faces to get through execises and don't need ppl witnessing this. Plus, I feel a sense of accomplishment afterwards. Sometimes I go in the middle of the night since it's 24 hours.
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    Oh yea and I walk my daughter to the bus stop by 6:25, so by the time the time i walk back home, I feel as though I might as well go.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Your not alone, I am up and off to the gym by 430am, its tough but if i don't go in the morning I won't go after work. Its better now that I have made some morning friends, if I miss a day they call me on it. Keep up the good work, morning workouts are the best way for me to start my day I have so much energy throughout the day.
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    While I sometimes skip that am gym visit (IE I went to bed at 12 or so...I make up for it after work!) I get up out of my warm cozy bed, into the dark early morning knowing I will feel better all day if I just go. The cardio just wakes me up and puts me in a better mood than staying in bed til the last minute and feeling rushed and groggy. Plus, my body's not going to change if its lying in bed for an hour instead of getting on the cross trainer or going for a nice jog!
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Getting up in the morning is not easy for any one, but just knowing that afterwards I would feel like a million bucks it's what's keep me motivated!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get up before class and go (which means workout from 8-9:30, go home and shower). I just have to get out of bed right away, rather than sit and say "oh five more minutes..." To prevent that, I set my alarm for 7:00 am, and when I wake up from that, I have another alarm set for 7:20 so when I wake up from the first alarm, I think "oh, okay, good, I've got 20 minutes."
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    For me after work is hard. I am sitting at my desk right now, 4:40pm and finished with work, trying to decide what to do!!! Was reading to maybe find some inspiration!!! I have my gym clothes in my car but feel tired and not motivated!