Weight Room Win !!

Options
I just gotta brag about this one. Indulge me............:blushing:

I was doing my weight lifting today at the gym, and I had just loaded 225 on the bar for my next deadlift set. I was resting between sets, sitting on a nearby bench. A young, fit guy walks up and stares at the chalk I left next to the Olympic platform. Then he glances at the bar, and over at me.

He asks, "How many more sets do you have left?"

Me: "Two or three, but you're welcome to work in if you want."

He looks back at the bar, back at me, then says, "That's OK. I'll just use this bar over here."

Um, OK, that's cool. :huh:

Then he turns, and almost as an afterthought, says in a chagrined voice, "That's waaay more weight than I'm doing anyway." Then he sorta hung his head and slunk off. I sorta felt sorry for the guy, ya know? :ohwell:

He's over there doing 135 for 8, and here I am working 275 (on my last set). Nothing like a lady twice your age pulling twice your deads! God that felt good! :glasses:

Go hard or go home!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

Replies

• Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    hahahaha way to go!!!!
  • Saksgirl1
    Options
    I can't even tell you how much i LOVE THIS! I actually had a similar experience Saturday with the leg press. I put on 300lbs and started with my first set. The guy I was working out with actually had to take weight off the machine so he could do his set! It was the BEST feeling!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    w00t...you really owned it!! Enjoy it!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Great Freaking Job! I really admire that! I am a powerlifter, and my deadlift personal record is only like 250lbs! I worked and worked at it, but took six or so months to inch past 225. I could lift and lift 205 no problem, but 225 was my peak :(

I know how that feels too! I just started being able to get back to the gym and I was doing some rows with a 45lb dumbbell on each side and I had this guy just gawking at me.... I laugh because I know this is just starter weights! "D

I can't wait till I get my bench back up to 225-250 range. Guess how many guys are gonna stop and stare then "D

These sort of NSV's are always awesome. Keep it up Sweetheart!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Perseverance in action.

I feel for the guy. I have only been lifting for 2 months and was lifting 135 on deadlift at the point. Since then I have gotten it to 225lbs.
    I salute you sister on your accomplishment. Hopefully the young man is encouraged to continue his efforts.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Saks and Snookums - Way to go! 300 is a damn good press! And Snooks, I used to be a competitive powerlifter, too. Your bench is awesome! That's always been my worst lift. I struggle to do 125. My fave is the DL - for some reason, I'm good at it, I guess.

It is sooooo frustrating to try to dispel the "heavy weights will make me bulky" myth. Yeah, well I weigh about 125, so I think that pretty well puts that one to rest! Although I weighed 145 when I was competing, but that was 30 years ago!

Trelm - keep at it. Developing the basic strength for the compound lifts takes time, but the pay-off is so worth it! Make sure your form is perfect first, and the weight will follow.

Good luck to all!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    millerll - you are just a beast! (and i mean that in a good way). Keep on tearing it up! You've definitely got me beat on DL by more than 50 lbs!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I just gotta brag about this one. Indulge me............:blushing:

I was doing my weight lifting today at the gym, and I had just loaded 225 on the bar for my next deadlift set. I was resting between sets, sitting on a nearby bench. A young, fit guy walks up and stares at the chalk I left next to the Olympic platform. Then he glances at the bar, and over at me.

He asks, "How many more sets do you have left?"

Me: "Two or three, but you're welcome to work in if you want."

He looks back at the bar, back at me, then says, "That's OK. I'll just use this bar over here."

Um, OK, that's cool. :huh:

Then he turns, and almost as an afterthought, says in a chagrined voice, "That's waaay more weight than I'm doing anyway." Then he sorta hung his head and slunk off. I sorta felt sorry for the guy, ya know? :ohwell:

He's over there doing 135 for 8, and here I am working 275 (on my last set). Nothing like a lady twice your age pulling twice your deads! God that felt good! :glasses:

Go hard or go home!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

That's bad-*kitten*!!!