Just starting Couch to 5k...

Options
So I just finished my first day of C25k, and I actually made it through the whole thing! I have asthma and have always avoided running because it causes so much discomfort, opting instead for walking, biking, elliptical, workout videos, etc. But I really wish I could ENJOY running! So I downloaded the Robert Ullrey podcasts and talked my boyfriend into doing it with me. When we were almost at the end he said he wanted to walk for 2 or 3 minutes instead of the 90 seconds (we only had one more interval left) so I told him that he could walk, then when I got to the 5 minute cool down I'd walk back to him, but it was important to me to push through and just finish... Well we both pushed through, and finished the whole thing together :flowerforyou: I'm so proud of both of us haha.

My question is, about 3/4 of the way through, when Robert Ullrey says "you shouldn't be tired or out of breath..." did anyone else think, umm hello??? This is the first time I've ran in forever, how am I supposed to NOT be tired and out of breath? Am I the only one?

Anyway, I really felt like I accomplished something, and I'm gonna try my best to stick this whole thing through. I'm on my way to a better me, and running can only help me succeed. If anyone wants to join me as a C25k buddy, just lemme know :smile:

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love this program!

Keep up the good work and continue to push thru!
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy this program. i struggle around week 4 to 5, but it's great at building endurance.

good job! :)
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i didn't use his podcasts, but don't let that get you down! celebrate every accomplishment and every day completed! you can do it!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I really wish I'd known about C25K when I first started!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday :)

I didn't use a podcast though...just a stopwatch to time myself.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I don't know who Robert Ullrey is, but I think it's silly to assume that someone starting C25K, especially someone not accustomed to running (like me!) wouldn't be tired and out of breath.

I just did W4D1 tonight and I was tired and out of breath - it's challenging to me still!

Good luck!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I've been.
  • cookc04
    Options
    Well, I took the running really slowly - it was probably slower than my walking.
    But still yes towards the end I couldn't wait for the running to finish. It gets easier and actually what happens is you are not just developing fitness, you are developing a rhythm which is always important for endurance. Your breathing, strides and arms all synch up and it's magical. This synching up is also what happens in swimming - once you work out a rhythm in swimming then you get less resistance and feel like a dolphin, I think that's what happens with running except you feel a little more like a horse perhaps.
    What you'll find when you get up to doing 5 minute runs is that you go into a different zone and can actually see yourself running for longer.
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaay! Awesome job! Keep up the great work :)
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options

My question is, about 3/4 of the way through, when Robert Ullrey says "you shouldn't be tired or out of breath..." did anyone else think, umm hello??? This is the first time I've ran in forever, how am I supposed to NOT be tired and out of breath? Am I the only one?

LOL...Yes. I did, too! And I'd been hiking and walking before that and thought I was in pretty good shape--but running is different!

Keep at it--and remember to give yourself a recovery day in between (even if you're feeling great...recovery days make all the difference!).

Congratulations, and good luck on your C25K goals! :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Good job and this program took this never ran in her life girl to running her first half next weekend!

And, I'd say for most of the program, I was out of breath and tired so for him to say that is unfair! :)

I used a different app on my droid phone that just beeped when it was time to walk or run and didn't talk to me.
  • caitymay1
    caitymay1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well, I took the running really slowly - it was probably slower than my walking.
    But still yes towards the end I couldn't wait for the running to finish. It gets easier and actually what happens is you are not just developing fitness, you are developing a rhythm which is always important for endurance. Your breathing, strides and arms all synch up and it's magical. This synching up is also what happens in swimming - once you work out a rhythm in swimming then you get less resistance and feel like a dolphin, I think that's what happens with running except you feel a little more like a horse perhaps.
    What you'll find when you get up to doing 5 minute runs is that you go into a different zone and can actually see yourself running for longer.

I love this whole description of running, that's exactly the feeling I've been longing for!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I used the app on the ipod touch. It told me when to walk and when to jog.
    Once I got out of the interval stages, I just used a stopwatch.

Good Luck!