Upper body exercises with knee injury?

Options
I've twisted my knee somehow and can't even take walks for exercise right now. Any tips for some upper body only exercises that do NOT involve the knees? Push ups are out because I can't put my weight on my knees. I've thought of boxing and sit ups. Any other ideas?

Replies

• statia152
    Options
    Lisa Ericson has some short videos on YouTube, you could probably put together enough for a 20 min workout. Google "wheelchair exercises" and see what you come up with. Good luck and quick healing :smile:
  • alyssalanet
    Options
    Overheard press with dumbbells (or water bottles if you do not have access to weights)
    *Sit down to do these obviously

Bicep curls (with weights or water bottles)

Tricep kickbacks (with weights or water bottles)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My upper body workout normally consists of bent over rows, military press, stability ball crunches, back extentions, bicep curls, hammer curls, assisted pull-ups, cable flys, shoulder raisers...Theres a lot of different exercises you can do if your just talking about strength training exercises.
  • lilsnowbird
    Options
    bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could find something heavier than water bottles though. It needs to cause you some fatigue or its not doing anything for you....
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you can get to a pilates reformer class, there are so many options for working around an injury. You can get you arms, abs and core done without using your knees at all.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for cardio- punches are great- when I had a foot injury I did that often. Also can you do any swimming? that is a great overall exercise.
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could find something heavier than water bottles though. It needs to cause you some fatigue or its not doing anything for you....

I've actually got 3 and 5 lb weights here at home. :)
  • alyssalanet
    Options

Light weight and high reps would do the job in the mean time. Water bottles get heavy. If you wanted them heavier..fill them with sand, or concrete.

There is a true misconception when it comes to "needing more weight." Bodybuilders in general start out at lighter weight at high reps and then grow into more weight.
  • alyssalanet
    Options

I've actually got 3 and 5 lb weights here at home. :)

That would do the job, or like I said you can always fill water bottles (or any sort of containers) full of sand or something of the equivalent until you are feeling better. Heal up soon!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Bench Press, Dips, Seated Shoulder Press (BB or DB), Concentration Curls, seated Preacher Curls, Chin-Up's, Seated or Lying Tricep Extension, seated DB front raises and lat raises. Lots you can do. :)
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump