Exercise question????

Options
nakabi
nakabi Posts: 589 Member
For those of you who exercise, running in particular, do you set a goal to run a specific distance, time, or amount of calories burnt? I'm trying to decide which is recommended.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Errr...expect this thread to get moved to the Fitness and Exercise forum. :)
  • 1myfit
    Options
    I shoot for distance.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I go by calories my goal and limit is 300 but i try to get faster and push myself harder each time
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    Varies. Sometimes I go for distance and sometimes for time. Usually distance though.
  • RdySetGO11
    RdySetGO11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mine is distance. Then once I can run say 3 miles, then I'll try to run it quicker.
  • mbrewster2010
    Options
    I go for time and calorie.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    <--- A.D.D... Time for sure or I lose focus. LOL
  • kassied09
    Options
    I sort of go for all three...Most important to me is calories, though. If at the end of my workout and I still don't have enough I will keep pushing until I reach my 800 goal. Resistance is important, too though. And that ties in with time and distance...so it all fits together for me.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Distance. If I can run 3 miles without stopping I say I will do half a mile more next time or run it faster. I do like to do at least 30 min of cardio though so if it is less than that I may walk longer for a cool down.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I run for distance and time, but distance first.

New runners should be running for time.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm wanting, today it was distance, I wanted to push out 5km, but normally I'm just doing it for 30 minutes or 35.
  • foodluver27
    Options
    I go for distance..just because I am a slow runner. It takes me almost 40 minutes to run 3 miles...time is a factor too. But it just feels so much rewarding when I know how many miles I have ran :)
  • jmo28
    Options
    I was never a runner but now I run 30-35 miles a week and doing a half-marathon in a month I usually set up my tentative run schedule for the week. I found that it worked the best to set up a weekly goal and do runs in the week to check miles off. Say you feel really great on a Monday and crank out a long run, but come Tuesday or Wednesday you feel shot so you make it a short day, focusing on pace, form, and breathing, etc. working your way toward your weekly goal. This way i don't feel the need to beat myself everyday, giving my body time to rest and have a break.

Using mapmyrun.com is helpful because the have a monthly calendar that shows your milage for the week and month and breaks down the stats and breaks down distance by week. It feels good to see a distance percentage increase at the end of the week :D

But running is a personal thing, what works for me may not work for you. I ended up using tips from friends who do marathons to start my own running plan
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I used to trail-run just for a bit of cardio. An old friend of mine in med school got me into it. He liked goin for 20-30 mins, just enough to get the heart goin he'd say. Sometimes we'd run the trails twice, sometimes a bit longer , sometimes shorter. Always about 20-25 minutes though.

Along with the heart benefits, it got me below 200lbs for the first time in probly 8yrs.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey - when I first started I would run for time (e.g. I'm just gonna run for 20mins). As I got fitter I started running for distance (e.g. today I'm going to run 8k) and now I am combining both (e.g. today I'm gonna run 5k in under 28 mins) :)
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I always go for short distance. Maybe 1-3 miles. When I run I tend to run at a fast pace. Can't seem to just jog.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i usually only run for like 20 mins
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Time or Distance, never calories. You never know if the treadmills are accurate and my HRM shows my calories after I finish the workout. :)
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am just beginning to run a little and I go for time. Eventually, at least I hope, I will be more concerned with distance.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a figure skater, and you've never had to deal with my coach in a dream about not rehearsing your steps. She's scary!