recipies for lentils?

Options
does anyone have any good recipies using lentils? ive only had them plane, i guess i could add veggies & meat. i just want to know how other ppl prepare them to get some ideas on what els i could do.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh. I love lentils. I put them in my rice cooker then just eat them up!

I can add them to tons of things. as a side with dinner, as a meal to themselves, lots of soup recipes for them. My favorite is just to have lentils all alone. they are so tasty!
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Check the link on my signature, I have a really good receipe for a lentil pie
  • EricaLaurenRN
    Options
    If you have a crockpot there are TONS of way to cook lentils and they're relatively simple. Here's a great website/blog with a bunch of different lentil and legume recipes :)

http://www.tastespotting.com/tag/lentil/8

I'm a huge fan of the lentils over polenta (I'm Italian, I can't help it lol)
  • loulouwill
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes - a warm lentil and goats cheese salad. I usually add some chopped beets (beetroot) on the top as well and you don't need to use all the oil in the dressing...
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/salad-days/warm-lentil-salad-with-walnuts-and-goats-cheese.html
    (Rocket leaves are arugula - just called a different name in the uk)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If you dont mind venturing into Indian cuisine, but "Dahl" is an AMAZING soup!
  • Ruby11222
    Options
    They're so healthy, I add them to almost anything for fiber. You can add a smaller amount if you really don't like them and you won't taste them!
  • julesisrunnin
    Options
    great recipes for Red Lentil Soup are on allrecipes and food network. They are really easy, super healthy and filling!
    All call for veg broth, garlic, onion, cumin, lemon juice, tomato or carrot, and I add i potato for some heft and tumaric for some indian spice. Then I use an immersion blender and make it creamy. Yum yum!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you dont mind venturing into Indian cuisine, but "Dahl" is an AMAZING soup!

Dahl! so good. Eat it with some cauliflower or eggplant if you don't do chipati or other breads.

Sloppy lentils: http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

Lentil salad: http://yeahthatvegan****.blogspot.com/2007/09/you-dont-win-friends-with-lentil-salad.html

edit: ah. the "****" in the link begins with "s" and rhymes with spit.
  • ireneibarajas
    ireneibarajas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I add turkey necks celery and carrots in a crock pot.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    my fav way is with pumpkin, chicken broth, sauteed onion and tomato, cumin, potato, cook the lentils in all that sooo good..almost like a pumpkin chili :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    In Turkey they make lentil soup like this:

sautee 1 medium onion in about a teaspoon of olive oil until soft and just starting to brown. Add 2 cups of washed red lentils, about a third a cup of white rice, about 5 (?) cups of water, and chicken stock cubes. Here, the cubes are really big, and I still use 2, normal sized ones, maybe 4? boil it for about 30 minutes on low heat then blend it using an immersion blender. It's one of the 4 most common soups here. I'm not sure the exact measurements with water, I add more if it's too thick. Anyway, give it a go :)
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love this one..

Baked honey lentils

This is a delicious, different way to enjoy lentils, and tastes great on its own or served over rice, quinoa or couscous. The aromatic mix of flavours makes it a satisfying meal that the whole family will love- and with only 194 calories per serve, it fits in perfectly with your diet plan.

What you’ll need…

1 cup lentils
    2 cups water
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tbsp honey (can be replaced with maple syrup or agave nectar)
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp ginger root, grated
    Salt and pepper to taste
    (This recipe makes 4 serves)

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a baking dish.
    Cover and cook in the oven at 170 degrees C/325 F for about an hour and a half, or until tender.
    Serve and enjoy!
    (Alternatively, you can cook it in a saucepan on the stovetop, on medium-low heat for 40-60 minutes until tender)