I'm not asking for doctors... I'm going to make an appointme

Ok let me start this out by saying I will be calling Cardiologist tomorrow.... but wanted others inputs of if it number one is something that I should be overly concerned about or if like me they think it's no big deal etc.... back in 2001 so almost 10 years ago I was found to have a hole in my heart.... I underwent open heart surgery where they repaird it.... suppoesdly I would have no more problems with it once i had recovered.... and I did very ewll afterwards.... but my heart rate was increasinly high.... so they put me on a medication called toporol to help me lower my heart rate.... that seemed to work great... after a while... I got sick and tired of taking meds so I quit them all about a month or 2 later I went to the dr, and he asked me about my meds and I told him that I stopped taking the meds to bring my hr down... i hadn't taken them in weeks... and yet my hr was fine...so he told me not to worry about taking them again..... now fast foward to about 8 months ago I was evaluated by acardiologist and after a bubble test and an echocardiogram they said my heart was fully repaired and looked like a 27 year olds heart... yay! no more enlargement or anything....

so now fast forward to me getting very involved in my work out routines and my heart rate is getting anwyere from 175-190 and sometimes higher.... thats just with a regular exercise class.... now to me a 200 heartrate can't be normal.... I'm just wondering should I be concerned...since I ahve had indepth studies that are looking at my heart and they are saying those were all fine back when they ewre done.... if they would be all fine now I dont' need to worry? my resting hr is right at 100....resting... at exercise on thursday when my hr hit the 185 I started to get really dizzy and nauseous and had to sit down for a min.... so that just made me kind of nervous....

Replies

• mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Your on the right track, you need be seen prehaps a med adjustment is needed if they haven't tested or changed it in a while.
  • Sumijain
    Sumijain Posts: 309 Member
    The cardiologist visit seems like a great idea. Please do that. It does sound worrisome.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Please be concerned. I am glad you are going to see your doctor.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    My heart rate is known for going up quite high and it is known for staying there when I am really pushing myself during cardio. I know what my limit is between it being high and me not feeling well (about 185 or so - so I tend to keep it between 175-180 when I workout). However, I recently had a EKG and was told that everything is "textbook perfect" and whatever I am doing, to keep doing it. I should mention that my resting heart rate is quite low (in the 40's!).

All that being said, considering your history - I would definitely go to the doctor. It is better safe than sorry.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Since you've had several problems with your heart throughout the years, it's not a bad idea to have your doc take a good look at your ticker.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    It is an unusual fast heart rate I would check just in case.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Okay I'm a doctor but a psychiatrist not a cardiologist, but I know a little about this. 100 is a the high end of normal, and 185 could be okay for exercise, but the problem is you're getting dizzy/nauseaus when it's that high, and that's the real issue. When you have symptoms listen to them. Like others said, make that appointment ASAP! And in the meantime take it easy with the exercise.
  • You should be very concerned. For exercise, your max hr is 220 minus your age. At my age (59), my resting hr is around 60. I'm not an expert or anything, but it sounds to me you need some kind of medication. You may not want to take meds, but the alternative could be so much worse. Please see that cardiologist before anymore exercise. Your heart is working waaaay too hard!
  • valex0803
    valex0803 Posts: 8 Member
    Being an anatomist and very in depth with the study of the human body, I agree with the first couple of posts. 100 resting is extremely to high . average is min 70 - max 90......100 is extremely high. With exercising and your heart rate at 185-200 is extremely high, that is Heart Attack/stroke level. I would say see the cardiologist and ask them what kind of workouts you can do that will not have your heart racing so high. Because at high rates like that it could definitely be fatal. Tell your Dr. to give you a work out routine and stick to that. Also as far as medication goes, sorry to say this, but you will have to just play around with some via trail and error to see which one works best for you. Different meds work better for different people because every ones body physiology is different. But goodluck with it all and Im sure they will get you squared away.
  • With your history I would definitely schedule that appointment as soon as possible. When it is something that concerns your heart I say it's better to err on the side of caution. I would hope they would have you do a stress test so they can get an accurate picture of what your heart is doing while you are working out.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    thanks for the input.... It may be worth noting that I haven't ever really gotten nauseous or dizzy w/ my heart rate until this past week when it was up to 189-191.... but it was also excessively hot in the room we were in also which may have had something to do w/ it.... either way I'm going to see my Dr. and just see what they think.... :) thanks guys!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Well, when I was severely overweight, and my allergies were not under control, and I would try to exercise my hr would get up to around 200. I remember asking what would happen if I went over 200 and the answer was - you turn into the HULK. Just kidding.

It ended up being something I just had to watch while I built my endurance up. I had a magic number that made me feel a little bad - past that was dizziness and past that was black spots. After I got my allergies under control it was a amazingly easy (apparently humans need to breathe???) I remember one day I had to sit on the bench and wait till I could see to walk home!

Soooo, because you have a different situation I would play it safe and see the doc and probably aim to keep your heartrate in the 170's while you exercise. Maybe you have a bug or some other random thing stressing your body right now.

Best Wishes!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Oh yeah- and sorry for me (and everybody) saying to see the doc. even though you said you would at the beg. We can't help it.:flowerforyou:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Okay I'm a doctor but a psychiatrist not a cardiologist, but I know a little about this. 100 is a the high end of normal, and 185 could be okay for exercise, but the problem is you're getting dizzy/nauseaus when it's that high, and that's the real issue. When you have symptoms listen to them. Like others said, make that appointment ASAP! And in the meantime take it easy with the exercise.

I'm a nurse and I am thinking the very same thing! Please go in. A resting heart rate should not be 100 for you. I'd say more in the high 60's to low to mid 70's.

That dizzy spell is concerning.