Empty Plate Syndrome.

Options
Gillby
Gillby Posts: 22 Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels compelled to finish a meal. Empty your plate no matter what. It usually comes hand in hand with losing the ability to know when you're full.

Today for the first time in... I don't even know how long, I left my plate with food on it. To make sure I didn't go back to it a minute later, I tipped it into the bin. SUCCESS!!!!!

It's an NSV I hadn't even thought about but i feel triumphant.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    the house i grew up in YOU CLEANED YOUR PLATE!! so now i serve myself half of what i normally would. usually clear the plate, but i'm hesitant to go for seconds, and if i do want seconds, well, i serve my self a little less then i did before.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Yup. I was always pushed to be in the 'Clean plate club' as my parents called it. Even now I really hate to throw food away, it really is a waste. I've just learned to use much smaller plates instead.
  • anjukins
    anjukins Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've got 1/3 a sandwich that I already "counted" on a plate next to the computer that's been there for about an hour... i keep thinking, guuh i have to finish this... but... maybe i wont. :)
  • glitterpiss
    Options
    Why don't you just put the amount of food on your plate that you feel comfortable eating, that way you can clear you plate and not waste food? win win!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    have you tried using a smaller plate?
  • anjukins
    Options
    HAH, i don't think this was meant to be a joke, but it made me snort out loud. But it IS a clever idea. dessert plate v dinner plate = big difference
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have calculated how much I should have...so I leave the rest for my husband....
  • kcputtytat
    kcputtytat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good job! When you have been "programmed" to eat all the food on your plate leaving one bite is a great exercise. Congrats on your success!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my membership to the Clean Your Plate club over a year ago... and I haven't felt guilty about it since. :) Good for you!!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It took me a good couple of years to break that horrible family - rule!!! I remember pissing off the waitress at this one restaurant. We had just been served our meals, and she says "Is there anything I can get for you?"... I said "yeah, if you could please bring me a take-out container, that would be great"... She actually got upset and said "but I just served you your dinner?".... I shared with her that I only plan on eating half of it, and would like to save the other half for tomorrow... She was still pissy about it!!!

She came back, didnt even say "here you go" or anything like that.. just a dirty look... I looked back at her and asked her "did you break a nail bringing this to me?"... She piped back WHAT WAS THAT FOR? I brought it to her attention that she had no right getting mad over my asking for a take-out container considering SHE asked if there was anything else we needed once we were served our meals.... She walked away.

Well, I had a nice conversation with the manager about her....

I love my meal the next day now... I only eat enough just to satisfy the true hunger pangs and keep in line with my doctor's recommendations... I wont ever clean my plate again! Except maybe to put the leftovers in the container! lol
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Way to go Gill. Little challenges everyday keep me motivated. I'm in control not my overeating.
  • irishredgirl70
    irishredgirl70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I was raised the same way! I feel good when I leave a little on my plate too, I usually give my leftovers to my dogs! They love my new eating habits too! Lol
  • 1grammie
    Options
    I use a salad plate and child sized flatware. I think I eat about 25% less.
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've just been making a LOT of use of my measuring cups. I plan my whole day, first thing in the morning, and then I dole out EXACTLY what I logged. So, I clean my plate, but I don't overeat, because I serve what I am allowed.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Woot! Woot! Woot! Woot! I know this was hard for you to do, but you did it. I had to learn how to do this, and it wasn't easy.
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am a total finisher.... :embarassed:
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Michedarnd, now that takes dicipline and planning! WTG
  • anjukins
    Options
    I love planning my day in advance, too! usually I plan breakfast and lunch the night before, enter it all, and then know how many calories I cn count on when I get home for dinner :)
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I use smaller plates now. It helps me control my portions better. I also work hard at *not* finishing anything the kids didn't eat. I used to do that a lot. :(

I saw a test conducted on the effect of plate size on amount of food consumed.They set up a buffet in two halves of the same restaurant - with a curtain down the middle. They invited 60 or so people to come eat at it. They made sure the types of people were balanced between the two groups (ages, genders, etc). The only difference was that one side had larger plates than the other. They weighed all the food that went out, and all the scraps that came back, plus the leftover food in the serving dishes.

The side with the bigger plates ate something like 20% more food than the side with the smaller plates. It makes you think.

Big congratulations on *not* finishing all the food on your plate! It's a tough habit to break!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I eat off little salad plates now.....and little 1 cup tupperware bowls.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!