Have Restaurants Gone Mad???

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you eat at restaurants occasionally, overindulging isn't going to completely sabotage your diet. just get back on track the next day.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Today, I went to Old Chicago pizza, and had what I thought to be a healthy(ish) sandwich, the Classic Club. Yeah, it has a small amount of bacon and ham and turkey, and I ordered it without mayo. I came with mayo, and as I was at lunch, and it took a while already, and my blood sugar had tanked, I ate it with the mayo.

Look it up...

Old Chicago - Classic Club Sandwich, 1 Sandwich 829calories, 72grams of carbs, 43grams of fat (!!!!!) 0 protein listed.

NINE HUNDRED FRIGGIN CALORIES FOR A SANDWICH!

Holy cow! and how can there be no protein in that sandwich? boo on them!

I get sandwiches at the cafeteria at work, and even the "healthy" options with fewer calories and fat are bloated with sodium.

The restaurants are not feeding godzilla, they are making food as tasty as possible... to sell more, hence their business. It's a tough battle for those of us eating out for sure!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    This is why I like to cook at home. It's so fun!
    Plus the liquor is cheaper...
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Here is an example of restaurant gone mad: If I make countrytime lemonade at home I can have 16 ounces for 120 calories. If I get a medium lemonade at chick-fil-a that is about 16 ounces it is 240 calories!!! WTF?

I knew it would be bad but I didn't know it would be worse than a soda! A medium coke rolls in at 170.
  • Romans624
    Options
    Portion sizes are utterly ridiculous, yes. When a 250+ lb man needs to order off the kids' menu to get a realistic portion size, something is wrong.

Speaking of the kids menu, which I have also begun ordering from, I was really disappointed that Buffalo Wild Wings will not *allow* anyone over age 12 to eat that food. Its like they want you to pay for bigger portions whether you want to eat (or pay for) that much or not. Bummer. But lots of places don't require that thankfully.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yup...they HAVE GONE MAD!!! it's freakin ridiculous!!!!
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are utterly ridiculous, yes. When a 250+ lb man needs to order off the kids' menu to get a realistic portion size, something is wrong.

Speaking of the kids menu, which I have also begun ordering from, I was really disappointed that Buffalo Wild Wings will not *allow* anyone over age 12 to eat that food. Its like they want you to pay for bigger portions whether you want to eat (or pay for) that much or not. Bummer. But lots of places don't require that thankfully.

Absolutely! I am so irked when I go out to eat (which is very rare now :I'm an american living in japan:) and I "can't" order off the kids menu. I appreciate when there is a lunch portion, but sometimes even that is too much. I recently visited Cali for the first time, San Diego specifically, and EVERY restaurant I went to had nutrition info on the menu next to every item. At first I was irked, cause for me it just killed the mood I had for going out for dinner with a friend of mine. When I went to VA (same trip, vacation from Japan) I couldn't find the nutrition info on half of the menus and I found myself disappointed.

Part of my work is managing a restaurant at night so I usually eat at work. I don't even want to imagine the calories. After I started paying more attention to the nutritional info rather than closing my eyes and thinking "but but...its so good..." I started bringing my dinner to work with me.

Side note, I can order off the kids menu at work, thank goodness x.x
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    2 years ago, my husband and I had a holiday in America; we were so shocked by the portion sizes, we had to split all of our meals, and even then there was often plenty left over! I was also amazed when I ordered mango and orange smoothie to find it was filled with sugar!! I find mango so incredibly sweet anyway....why add sugar?? My husband and I were also quite shocked to see there were no 'real' restaurants, it was all fast food. Here in the UK, my hubby and I can go out for a meal and spend 2-3 hours in the restaurant, meaning we're taking our time over eating and enjoying each others company, unless the restaurant is booked up, there is no rush for us to eat. Portions over here are also much smaller (about a third of the size) and in restaurants you are often given side dishes of steamed seasonal veg. We do also have fast food joints and obesity is still a problem over here, so I don't think we can really just blame the restaurants. I agree with a comment earlier that restaurants go by demand, the more people eat, the more restaurants will provide!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were also quite shocked to see there were no 'real' restaurants, it was all fast food.

Mmmm not true at all.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The Cheesecake factory just released a new menu skinnylicous, with half the menu under 590 calories, and including some yummy options like a small burger and salad with low fat mayo, and even a veggie burger. My favorites are the shrimp soft taco's or the turkey avocado sandwich. I dont even eat the sides cuz they fill me up and I am satisfied. The other half of the menu has options all under 490 calories including items such as the greek salad, edamame and even flat bread pizza. Some restaurants are listening
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were also quite shocked to see there were no 'real' restaurants, it was all fast food.

What the hell are you talking about?

:huh:
  • iishnova
    Options
    The Cheesecake factory just released a new menu skinnylicous, with half the menu under 590 calories, and including some yummy options like a small burger and salad with low fat mayo, and even a veggie burger. My favorites are the shrimp soft taco's or the turkey avocado sandwich. I dont even eat the sides cuz they fill me up and I am satisfied. The other half of the menu has options all under 490 calories including items such as the greek salad, edamame and even flat bread pizza. Some restaurants are listening

I love that more restaurants are adding edamame! It is so good for you. I'm glad The Cheesecake Factory is "slimming down" I have friends that love to go there but I always vote against because it's just too much food for me
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options

:drinker: friend!
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options

Haha! Same here!!!
  • iishnova
    Options

That is how you talk to people...really? Depending on where you go in the states its hard to find a real sit-down restaurant. I'm an American. I'm living in Japan. When I went home to visit I realized how few restaurants we had that didn't have a drive through.

and honestly, people who arn't from the states can have a hard time eating there even if they do find a "real" restaurant. You don't need to be rude about it.
  • McKayMachina
    Options

That is how you talk to people...really? Depending on where you go in the states its hard to find a real sit-down restaurant. I'm an American. I'm living in Japan. When I went home to visit I realized how few restaurants we had that didn't have a drive through.

and honestly, people who arn't from the states can have a hard time eating there even if they do find a "real" restaurant. You don't need to be rude about it.

BAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA It didn't take long to get called "rude" tonight! Woot! New record! Gimme an actual break. lol

And this is an asinine response. The day it's hard to find a real restaurant you can say this stuff. But where did you live? Seriously. There are far more sit-down restaurants in the greater Phoenix area than fast food. joints. Same was true when I lived in New York and Michigan. New York City, LA, Chicago, Seattle, New Orleans and Miami (and many other US cities) are KNOWN for, among other things, incredible dining. Just because someone is too lazy to google restaurants in their area doesn't mean they don't exist.

:laugh:
  • Romans624
    Options
    2 years ago, my husband and I had a holiday in America; we were so shocked by the portion sizes, we had to split all of our meals, and even then there was often plenty left over! I was also amazed when I ordered mango and orange smoothie to find it was filled with sugar!! I find mango so incredibly sweet anyway....why add sugar?? My husband and I were also quite shocked to see there were no 'real' restaurants, it was all fast food. Here in the UK, my hubby and I can go out for a meal and spend 2-3 hours in the restaurant, meaning we're taking our time over eating and enjoying each others company, unless the restaurant is booked up, there is no rush for us to eat. Portions over here are also much smaller (about a third of the size) and in restaurants you are often given side dishes of steamed seasonal veg. We do also have fast food joints and obesity is still a problem over here, so I don't think we can really just blame the restaurants. I agree with a comment earlier that restaurants go by demand, the more people eat, the more restaurants will provide!

I'm surprised where you went there wasn't much selection in restaurants. What area in the US did you visit? I wish restaurants here served 1/3 the portion sizes... or even made it an option. When I was accepting myself being fat, I was happy to eat the bigger sizes. But when my mindset changed, I realized that I either have to eat at home, or cut the meals down in restaurants. Even then, they often have more calories than normal in their reduced portions. You are right and as others have said too about supply and demand.... it would be nice if restaurants would step it up and help us out, but we are still holding the forks!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    When I went home to visit I realized how few restaurants we had that didn't have a drive through.

I guess it severely depends where you are from them. Where I live, the amount of "real" restaurants greatly outweighs the number of fast food places.
    Just because someone is too lazy to google restaurants in their area doesn't mean they don't exist.

QFT!
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ya know...I just heard about this on the local news. Restaurants serve more than 'one serving' on a plate. They always serve more than any one person should be eating....well, unless ur paying 150 bucks a plate then you all know how that goes if you've ever had the luxury of throwing away money in that sense, filet mignon smaller than my big toe etc...LOL. But no, seriously.....I just started this MFP thing like 2 wks ago and I looked up EVERY restaurant i love...CHZCK factory being one...my fav louisiana ckn pasta is like 1450 calories ALONE! and youknow, you can only order a HALF order before 4 pm.

All I can say is that Applebee's & Chili's which are right by my house have that 'guiltless menu' thing, and it's still quite tasty.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    filet mignon smaller than my big toe

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: