What is your machine to conquer?

Options
I'm just starting out at a gym, tomorrow. (9-30-11) I have been to gyms before and never really had issues with any of the cardio machines. I love the elliptical as it's easy on my hips and knees. The treadmill is boring, but it's like going for a walk so no biggie for me either. The stationary bikes are the same...boring but no biggie for me. If I really want to challenge myself what should I try? Thanks for your opinions.

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you love the elliptical -- see if your gym has the Precor AMT (adaptive motion trainer) machines -- they rock!
    They are even lower impact than elliptical and I burn more --- about 100 calories every 10 minutes.
    You can do 4 different things on them from a run to a stair climber type feel... my favorite machine for sure. (But my favorite exercise is actually Zumba!)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The machine I need to conquer is the human body. Starting with mine.
  • ambern02
    Options
    I have a friend that loves zumba. I havn't done a zumba class. My understanding is it is all dance. I started body pump and I love it and hate it! Classes are great. Peer presure makes you go farther and not give up so you do the whole workout not 1/2 or 10 mins. Body pump is aerobics and weights together. So you burn fat and build muscle at the same time. Your body will hurt all over after the class. You will use muscles you forgot you had. Give it three tries (once a week) . It's awsome. It's why I have lost my 6 lbs. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out at a gym, tomorrow. (9-30-11) I have been to gyms before and never really had issues with any of the cardio machines. I love the elliptical as it's easy on my hips and knees. The treadmill is boring, but it's like going for a walk so no biggie for me either. The stationary bikes are the same...boring but no biggie for me. If I really want to challenge myself what should I try? Thanks for your opinions.
    Step mil!!!! IMO the most challenging of all cardio machines along with Jacob's Ladder.

Stairmaster_7000_PT_Stepmill_Used.jpg

http://www.google.com/search?q=jacob's+ladder+pictures&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox#q=jacob's+ladder+machine&hl=en&client=firefox&hs=U1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=GUWFTpjLI7DbiAL4nqC8DA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=6&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQzAMwBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=cfca41e054304f1f&biw=1280&bih=672
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you love the elliptical -- see if your gym has the Precor AMT (adaptive motion trainer) machines -- they rock!
    They are even lower impact than elliptical and I burn more --- about 100 calories every 10 minutes.
    You can do 4 different things on them from a run to a stair climber type feel... my favorite machine for sure. (But my favorite exercise is actually Zumba!)

I have 3 left feet, can't dance, uncoordinated like you wouldn't believe!! WISH I could dance, or zumba...but haven't a clue what to do. LOL
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I agree, we have two at my gym and they will work you out, I have a love/hate relationship with them, will probably use them more in the winter. Good luck on your goals