Black Bean Spinach Bowl

Options
Phoenixflame
Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
I concocted this in my kitchen not too long ago.
http://damnthefreshman15.blogspot.com/2009/01/black-bean-spinach-bowl.html

Some days, you just want to say “screw the pots” and not cook. This dish takes a total of about 10 minutes (including rummaging for utensils) and tastes nice and hearty.

Black Bean Spinach Bowl

Ingredients:
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- ¾ cup Kashi’s Pouch Pilaf**
- Spices ***

** You can use brown rice, couscous, quinoa, or whatever. I used Kashi’s Original Pouch Pilaf. Cooking your own grain will take longer, and the nutritionals listed are for Kashi’s.

*** This dish is a spicer’s blank canvas. Want Mexican? Indian? Go wild. I used ¼ tsp Hungarian paprika, a pinch of ginger, and a drizzle of lemon juice.

Microwave the frozen spinach according to the bag’s directions. If it’s a little cold at the end (but no longer froze), it’s fine.

Microwave the Kashi pouch according to the pouch’s directions.

Get a big bowl. Put in the ¾ cup of Kashi, black beans, and cup of spinach. Add in any spices.

Microwave 30-40 seconds.

Remove and eat!

Nutrition:
315 calories
59 g carb
3 g fat
18 g protein
11 g fiber

Meal Suggestions:
It’s more or less a meal on its own, but consider a baked apple with toasted almonds as a complimentary dessert. This dish could use some healthy fat, so a tablespoon of chopped nuts could be tasty!

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I concocted this in my kitchen not too long ago.
    http://damnthefreshman15.blogspot.com/2009/01/black-bean-spinach-bowl.html

Some days, you just want to say “screw the pots” and not cook. This dish takes a total of about 10 minutes (including rummaging for utensils) and tastes nice and hearty.

Black Bean Spinach Bowl

Ingredients:
    - ½ cup black beans
    - 1 cup frozen spinach
    - ¾ cup Kashi’s Pouch Pilaf**
    - Spices ***

** You can use brown rice, couscous, quinoa, or whatever. I used Kashi’s Original Pouch Pilaf. Cooking your own grain will take longer, and the nutritionals listed are for Kashi’s.

*** This dish is a spicer’s blank canvas. Want Mexican? Indian? Go wild. I used ¼ tsp Hungarian paprika, a pinch of ginger, and a drizzle of lemon juice.

Microwave the frozen spinach according to the bag’s directions. If it’s a little cold at the end (but no longer froze), it’s fine.

Microwave the Kashi pouch according to the pouch’s directions.

Get a big bowl. Put in the ¾ cup of Kashi, black beans, and cup of spinach. Add in any spices.

Microwave 30-40 seconds.

Remove and eat!

Nutrition:
    315 calories
    59 g carb
    3 g fat
    18 g protein
    11 g fiber

Meal Suggestions:
    It’s more or less a meal on its own, but consider a baked apple with toasted almonds as a complimentary dessert. This dish could use some healthy fat, so a tablespoon of chopped nuts could be tasty!