new to this

Options
hi im colleen im new to this so would like a bit of help to see whats what on here. would like to know how people keep their calorie intake down? any ideas and thourghts would be good to help me to reach my goal of losing weight. thanks

Replies

• nakichk
    Options
    and im not sure how to read the calorie bar thing of how many calories to eat and what to lose...
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well, as for the lower calorie intake changing the types of food you eat is the first step, i went from eatting Large Steak and cheese subs and downing multiple 24oz cans of arizona iced tea on pretty much a daily basis... to eatting fruits, veggies, drinking water, cutting back on the carb intake and a few other things.

as for the calories you are supposed to eat daily... if you are on a 1500 calorie diet you need to eat... 1500 calories! Now that might sound redundant, however, if you are also exercising you have to eat the calories that you exercised off (*i know it doesnt make sense... but everyone will ltell you that*) for example...

1500 calorie diet**
    Food eaten - Exercise = Net (Goal)
    1500 - 500 = 1000 (1500) means you need to eat 500 more calories on the day. MFP(my fitness pal) already accounts for a deficit, so eating under your goal / net is not the way to go, your body will start lacking in calories and start eating away at fat cell (*which is good*) and Lean muscle (which is bad)

hope that helped
  • LillyMosley
    Options
    Hi Colleen, welcome, I am newish too. Feel free to "add me as a friend"...I am starting out by having set things for breakfast and lunch such as diet shakes, which ensure my carbs, protein etc are about right and then I only have to manage dinner. There is a lot of good advice here, I find not trying to take it all in at once helps, and each day I have learnt a different tool etc. Good Luck :wink:
  • nakichk
    Options
    cool thanks guys. it is a bit mind boggling hahaha but think ill get the hang of it soon heres hoping.
  • 4littlemonkeys
    Options
    hi im colleen im new to this so would like a bit of help to see whats what on here. would like to know how people keep their calorie intake down? any ideas and thourghts would be good to help me to reach my goal of losing weight. thanks
    Welcome Colleen! Would I be wrong in thinking you are from NZ?? (The Naki even?:smile: ) If so there is a NZ support group and Facebook page if you would like to join....we can help with your questions about MFP and give you local home grown support!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/339729-new-zealand-group
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.. Feel free to add me !!

10547530.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • nakichk
    Options
    thank you