Couch 2 5K question

Options
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching, but couldn't really find the answers I was looking for.

I was thinking about doing the C25K program, but I don't have an iphone or anything fancy like that :). Is that the only way to get the props for when to run and walk or is available for an mp3 player? If so, how much does it cost? Can you listen to your own music?

I've always wanted to be a runner, but have horrible stamina. From what I've heard/read this is an awesome program. Thanks for any insight.

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    hey .. when i did it i just used the stop watch off my phone! thats all you basically need! i got the plan of a website and timed myself as i went along! goodluck !
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I imagine there is one in mp3 format somewhere, but I think it would be hard to integrate into a playlist without some manual work.

You could probably find a cheap sports watch that has interval timing on it. I dug out my old Timex Data Link watch and programmed C25K week 1 as an interval timer so I just hit start and it beeps for every interval and displays what I should be doing. But I also use my Android, the watch just helps me keep time so I don't have to look at my phone.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    You can download the C25K podcasts from http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

These can be played on your mp3 player and are free
  • Malani2010
    Options
    I agree!!! Stop watch and writing down the workouts every week is your best bet. Congrats on starting the program. It's great!!! I'm on week 4 of the program and let me just say running 1 min is not big deal, running 1:30 min again not a big deal, running 3 min is wonderful, and now I'm running 5 min straight and it's very liberating. I can't wait to continue with the rest of the program. Good luck to you.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have created my own C25k playlist, complete with audio cues to let you know when to walk/run. You can download them from the following link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nnpjca9j840te

Week 1:
    4 Non Blondes
    Avril Lavigne
    Christina Aguilera
    Cyndi Lauper
    Deee-Lite
    Edie Brickell

Week 2:
    Hot Chocolate
    INXS
    Nickelback
    Gwen Stefani
    Jody Watley
    Katy Perry
    Matchbox 20
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Just to round this out.
    The workouts themselves can be found at:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Im on my final week of C25K, I was never a runner before i started this, id never run in my life infact! lol now im doing 5K runs because i enjoy it! :)

I have a blackberry, i have a GPS thing that logs how far i have done and how fast iv done it etc.etc. called Endomondo.

However, I use just a simple wrist watch, with a stop watch on it, to time my runs and run/walk times. you can pick them up for next to nothing really.

I dont bother running with music on, i prefer to listen to my breathing and heartrate, and how my foot lands on the ground, and soak up the scenary, but thats just my preference.

As for logging your distance, once you get home if you google "log your run" there are websites to map out where you have run and it will give you your distances then aswell. Smart phones are convieninces, sometimes a simplicity is key; a wrist watch, with a big hand tickiing away is all thats needed :)

Edit: Oh just remember to read up first on how long you are meant to be running/walking internals are, BEFORE you set off lol i made that mitaske a few times, LOL

Good Luck on your C25K journey, you'll love it!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you can find a track with measured distances, you can do it by distance rather than by time.
    I am finishing C25K this week, and wish I had done that from the start.