Help! Everyday calories question.....

Options
Right now I am set at 1910 calories a day which is suppose to help me lose a pound a week. My question is if i am incorporating exercise in my schedule at least 4 days a week, does that mean I need to have a lesser calorie goal? Im not sure how that works. I know when I do log my exercise at that 1910 calories a day then I end up with alot of calories left. So am I suppose to eat those up or what?

Thanks in advance for the advice :smile:

Replies

• LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I choose to not eat them, and lose more weight at the end of the week! ;)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    IF you exercise you will get more calories. Eat them. If you enter "eating exercise calories" in the search above you will find out why you need to eat them. Good luck.
  • jenfactor
    Options
    I'm eating about 1800 a day and I do not eat my exercise calories. If I were set to 1200, which is so low, then I probably would, but I find that 1800 is enough to learn to eat without going overboard, and it's still enough for the day even with some tough workouts. Plus I like to think those extra calories I burn with a workout are going to help me lose weight faster! :)
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    * I eat all of my exercise calories most of the time.
    * I always make sure my net calories are above 1200.
    * If it becomes difficult to eat all of my exercise calories, like in the summer when we are bicycling, I cut back on exercising, rather than consuming high calorie unhealthy food.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It all depends. I eat mine back, but that because my calorie goal is 1200 and once I get in a workout that burns 600 calories I'm STARVING! :tongue: My best advice is to listen to your body. If you're not very hungry don’t eat, if you find yourself going to bed at night with your stomach rumbling, maybe you should eat back those exercise calories. MFP is supposed to help you lead a better life, not help you with a fad diet. Make sure that whatever you're doing is sustainable. Good luck!! :smile:
  • I continually come in lower then my 1300 calorie goal... the other day I had 500 extra calories. I have no idea how I did it, I wasn't starving, I have dull hungry feeling in my stomach, but that's because I use to eat CONSTANTLY. I don't think I'm starving myself, but I'm perfectly comfortable eating 800 calories a day.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have a high everyday calorie goal AND eat my exercise calories. It is how the website is designed to work.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    I have deliberately set my MFP at 1200 cals but am really allowed 1500 before exercise. Mind trick on my part - coz at 1200 I don't mind so much if i go over it lol.

I don't really eat my exercise calories back ... only if I am hungry. I too get starving after my 500cal workouts so have a protein shake to fill me up and help with recovery.

Listen to your body and do what feels right to you. I only us MFP as a guide and to keep track of what is going down my throat so I make 'healthier' choices.