QUITTING......

Options
2»

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I quit 4 years ago cold turkey after about 30 years of smoking -- definitely not easy and I feel your pain -- and your pride in making it for 6 months!

Welcome to the land of ex-smokers -- we're the ones who hold our nose when you walk by stinking of cigs and are thankful you can't smoke in restaurants and bars anymore! :)
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You are an inspiration!:flowerforyou:
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    THAT IS FABULOUS!!! Your lungs are thanking you I'm sure and I bet your workouts are easier also. You should be very proud!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement. That is amazing and it does get easier the longer you are stopped. I personally know how hard it is to quit smoking. I quit 4 1/2 years ago after being a smoker for over 15 years. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, and even to this day I still crave one every now and then, but I have to stay strong for my family and my health (I also have asthma so smoking is really, really bad for me) It took me getting put into the hospital for a week, and the doctor telling me that I would end up with COPD at 30 if I didn't stop smoking. Every week I still put the money I would have spent on cigs in my savings account and at the end of the year me and my hubby take a wonderful vacation just the two of us it's great..
  • franciscoj1
    Options
    Congratulations on 6 months! I'm STILL craving every single day after over a year without a cigarette. I stopped the moment I found out I was pregnant with my son. He was all the inspiration I needed! Now that I'm no longer pregnant though, it is definitely harder to resist. Every day is a battle, but I'm not giving up. Good luck to you!
  • Chef2B
    Options
    That's great!!!! It's almost been a year for me. I decided to make last Thanksgiving my last day. Honestly, I've broke down 3 different times within the year, but it would only be just one at those times. I've realized now that "buzz" you get when you haven't smoked in a while, doesn't feel as good when you don't continue smoking. But I've learned too that I feel much better not going back even when I did break down.
    Now that it's been a long time since I've had one, and I've been working out more, it makes me feel so much better about myself that the only reason I'm tired while working out is because I'm putting a lot of effort into it, and not because I don't have the lung capacity.

Congrats to you!! and keep on strong!!!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Congrats ! I quit this year too. The last time I smoked was April 2011. But it was only a little. I tried to workout the next day and it was so horrible I said I would never do it again. I like to give 110 percent and I just can't do it smoking.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yay! Wtg!
  • nettie1969
    Options
    Awesome job ... all of you that have managed to kick the habit and stay off it.

Just like my dieting attempts so has been my quit journey. i did just stop one day and stayed smoke free for 6 years but had a car accident and started again (that was 15 years ago now) and keep promising myself that i will quit. yes, tried Zyban and Chantrix and neither was any good for me so cold turkey it will be.

I have set myself a challenge to have quit by Christmas this year. Mainly focussing on getting my eating under control (I don't eat regularly enough) and on top of my health (anxiety disorder which the doctor recommends I do not quit smoking just yet) then will tackle the nasty bugga's.

Any other smokers thinking about quitting or trying, feel free to friend me and we can do it together...Nothing like a public challenge to keep you focussed!

All support greatly appreciated. And again well done (sorry for hi-jackiing your thread :flowerforyou: )
  • cheri868
    Options
    Congrats, I also stopped smoking for a litlle over a month and half now and going strong. Having difficulty with the eating though, but trying to keep on track as best I can.
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options
    Awesome Job!!! I quit last year for 4 months, then one afternoon of drinking got me started again. I should have put the first one out when it tasted like crap. But sadly I started again.......BUT, today I will be doing the cold turkey thing again. Hope I can do it for good.
  • gods_gal
    Options
    Happy Quitting Anniversary! You know I quit 33 years ago and very, very occasionally I still desire a cigarette. So very proud of you for choosing healthy lungs!! :smile:
  • catclws
    Options
    congrats on quitting :smile: I quit 2 1/2 yrs ago and every once in awhile i get the craving for a cigarette, the feeling last about 10 seconds then goes away. but it's still a struggle! keep the faith you can do this!
  • NicolaJane1313
    Options
    Well done! the craving goes away with time! I will be 3 years in December and it is wonderful!!! Best decision you made!!
  • Lttlbird
    Options
    Congratulations to you!!! It's been 5 1/2 months for me. Still hard but so happy I quit! Keep it up!!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's awesome news :)
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I kicked the cigs on January 18, 2011 and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life! Congraulations and keep up the good work!
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    that is soooo wesome!! I wish to someday be cigarette free..I can go all week with out smoking but when i pick up a drink on fridays and/or saturday i can devour an entire pack in one night....my husband is horribble....when we go out to eat...he takes a cigarette break...i mean really?? you cant go an hour or hour with out a smoke...that is just sad!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i am quitting today too, smoker for most of the last 23 years.

send me a friend request and we will do it together and keep each other honest. i know if i have someone to report back to, who i dont want to let down, then my pride will take over. it is a lot easier to cheat if i am only disappointing myself